Hardening O1 tool steel?

Randy that's a great looking filet knife. If the heat treating and tempering was right on you should be able to filet a boatload of fish without re-sharpening.

That came out great can I ask what heat treating method you used I have some 01 and was thinking about using a forge to heat treat.

Thanks, I used my forge and a baffle, a piece of 2 1/2 inch pipe and smashed one end down. Heated it up and then introduced the steel to the pipe! Slowly bringing it up to temp and watching for hot spots!

Then just let it soak for 20 minutes, hardened and tempered it like they said.. Heres a copy of a post and its basically what I followed!

Heat treating O1: bring it up to 1450-1500F (that's going to be above non-magnetic, which happens at 1414F). Hold it there for 15-20 minutes. If you don't have any way to accurately judge temperature or hold it at temperature without overheating, a simpler steel like 1084 would be best. You can get it to harden some with a shorter hold of a couple of minutes, but you won't get the best from it by any means. With O1, you can quench in something like canola oil. Temper at 400F (350F is going to be on the low side and may get you some chippiness in your edge...then again, without a proper soak at temp, 350 may work). Do 2 x 2hour tempers as suggested with a cool to room temp between them."

Good luck, and thanks to all for the kind words and comments..

Doug, Im not sending to ya till I have a chance to try it out on a few small mouths! LOL

God bless

Thanks for the great info I have some 2 1/2 inch black pipe and a screw cap do you think this will work or do I need to pound one end closed?

Trout season opened here last weekend so the other Doug can just send it to me and I can try it out on some rainbows.

Between all those fish mentioned i think we would have a fair assesment on how well it handled. fish fry!!!!!

Fish fry

Between all those fish mentioned i think we would have a fair assesment on how well it handled. fish fry!!!!!

I’ll bring the tobacco burner, cast iron kettle with peanut oil and a mess of sweet potatoes sliced real thin along with some hush puppy mix and corn meal. We just need to make sure no one tries to quench any blades in the oil. 2thumbs

Doug, I was just thinking we could set up a forge and have an anvil handy. To bad you lived so far away. Of course after eating and drinking a six pack i probably wouldnt feel like picking a hammer up. LoL

I’ll bring the tobacco burner, cast iron kettle with peanut oil and a mess of sweet potatoes sliced real thin along with some hush puppy mix and corn meal. We just need to make sure no one tries to quench any blades in the oil. 2thumbs

That all sounds GOOD! I will bring some Cat Fish nuggets and do them Cajun style !! and have my wife bake up some fresh bread! Mmmm!

Thanks for the great info I have some 2 1/2 inch black pipe and a screw cap do you think this will work or do I need to pound one end closed?

Trout season opened here last weekend so the other Doug can just send it to me and I can try it out on some rainbows.

That pipe will work just fine! I was warned not to use galvanized or at least to ventilate will if You do.. I cooked my pipe in the forge outside for a few to let it burn off the CRAP! it did stink.. And can be harmful to your health.. So use caution.

Trout is nice! I dont often fillet them, I tend to fill up the insides with whatever veggies and some rice or both and season it up real good and wrap it in tin foil.. Then cook it right on top of the forge! quick and easy! LOL

Doug, Its in the works!! Not really..

But that would be cool! HHH Forge, how to cook on the forge in 30 minuites of less.... Cook book!

Back