Handle replacment help!!

JLoar

I am working on a knife handle for a friend but I need help taking the handle off. What is the best way going this? I am new to knife making so advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
JoshDSC01364.jpgDSC01365.jpg

That brass piece in the rear should backout counter clockwise. Then there is most likely epoxy holding it together.
I would carefully cut off the Bone/Stag handle that's there if you can get the brass to back out?

" without damaging the tang "

Have fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Yup. Those notches in the brass look deep enough to get a spanner driver into. Might back that brass nut out easier if you warm the whole assembly to 150 degrees or so to get the epoxy to soften some- hotter is likely to be bad for the stag.
3443-l.jpg

If that is a "Western", it likely doesn't have epoxy. I have disassembled several of those in the past. Hopefully you won't have to fight epoxy.

This may be pertinent- I have had several old Schrade fixed blades come in because the pommel had worked loose and was rocking back and forth, letting the stacked leather loosen up. Some of these have got the hollow pommel basically sitting on the last spacer, usually one of plastic of some kind, with a "claw" of the tang just shy of the base of the pommel. There is a stiff metal compound that is either poured or swaged into the hollow pommel which sets around the "claw" and secures the fit, for awhile at least. Drilling and picking it out is a major pain, I usually end up brazing an all thread extension to the tang, and use a threaded taper plug assembly that I grind flush for a nearly undetectable repair. What is this metal? Seems a little stiffer than solder.

Back