Handle liners.

Surthriver

So I've been looking at different knives around this forum and a lot of the ones that look really good have liners between the tang and the handle. What material do you guys use for your liners? And do you treat them just just like the handle: glue, drill, pin? Or how does that process work?
Thanks for any help.

Bossdog here at usaknifemakers.com sells most of the different liners,
There is the colored insulator material that I like along with G-10 and carbon fiber. Some have used colored plastic plates even brass & copper sheet.

I epoxy & pin/bolt it up all at the same time after I have finished the front on a set of scales with the liners in position.

Have fun!

Vulcanized paper (called fish paper in the trade) was the most widely used until in the last year or two, g10 became the most used. G10 comes in more colors and thicknesses and doesn't absorb water like fish paper does. I glue it to the handle at the same time as the scales using 2 part epoxy. Scratch the surface up good so the epoxy can get a good purchase. If either is used on a full tang knife between a scale and handle, it is called liner. If it is used between layers on a hidden tang knife, it is called spacer.

I epoxy the scales to the liners, cut & grind the liners down to the same size as the scales, then work them like a regular pair of scales.

I use G10 from USA Knifemaker's Supply. Epoxy scale to liner, when dry cut and shape. Epoxy and pin or screw attach the scales to my knife. Do my final finish.

If you use the G-10 Make sure you wear a respirator and do it in a area that can be cleaned or blow out.

That stuff turns info little hooks when you grind it and if it gets in your lungs the only way to get it out is after you assume room temperature.:15:

It makes my skin itch too, so I just use the "Fish Paper" and have always been happy with the results.

Have fun and stay safe!

Back