Handle Fasteners

d37fan

Corby bolts vs. Loveless bolts. Is one better than the other, or is it personal preference? I am getting ready to handle a couple of blades and need to buy supplies. I like the birdseye effect with loveless bolts of different materials. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

In my experience the loveless bolt is a stronger connection. I have bore down on the 303 .187 shank/.250 head stainless corby's a couple of times and snapped them off right at the machined step neck that leads to the threads on the male part. I assume this would be easier yet to do with the brass and aluminum versions. This is in no way a fault of the design or supplier- I just got overly aggressive. Just tight is enough especially with some adhesive in the socket. The loveless is stronger as the all-thread section has no cutouts or machined steps in them, but I feel that the corby style is more than adequate as well, so in my opinion it boils down to a style difference.

I prefer the LOveless style because I can make them any thickness i need by using 8-32 bolts from a hardware store.

The Colby are limited to thin to medium thickness handles. The tue tone affect is nice also but I use almost stainless with stainless these days.

Have fun,
Laurence.
W
Www.westsideSharpening.com

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the loveless bolts anyway, and you helped confirm my decision.

Back