hand held rockwell tester ?

bluegrass in ga

Considering a hend held tester. Can anyone offer up some feedback on a unit or several units. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks, Danny

I was looking at an Ames tester, which I've read the most about. I have also seen some models that run a bit less at MSC Direct. Just a few pointers, make sure that the tester can measure hardness in thicknesses down to 1/8". Many of the testers out there need a minimum of 1" thickness, some even more. Also make sure that they can test hardened steel. There are testers out there that are designed to test things like plastics and non-ferrous metals that just won't work for what you want. Expect to pay $1K or higher for a hand held unit, even used.

Doug

I have an older Clark CPT series handheld tester I got used and in great shape for $150 to my door from a guy over on Practical Machinist. That's a $2,000 unit new. Search and you can find great deals.

If you're buying used, there are several things to consider as I found out:

1. Make sure it's all there. Many times used units will have a broken diamond indenter, or a missing diamond indenter all together. To test Rockwell C (what you'll want for knives) you have to have a diamond indenter as the regular ball indenter does not work. This is, on average, a $400 replacement piece. Cost varies based on manufacturer...but it's a huge cost. Other parts are far less expensive so if they're missing you'll have decide the cost based on those. Other than that, make sure the anvils are there....for testing knife blade blanks, you only really need the flat anvil...but the others would be nice too.

2. Make sure it has been tested recently. You probably won't find one that's been recently calibrated mostly because if someone is going to calibrate it...they intend on using it. However, I made sure mine was tested. The seller I got mine from had other hardness testers and compared it to them and he also had the original test blocks that came with the unit. That's another thing...the test blocks aren't cheap either. I got mine with an included, albeit well used, test block. Make sure the test block is for Rockwell C in the high range as well.

3. I wanted to make sure I got a unit that the manufacturer would still service. Ames hardness tester have a cut off date of 20 years I believe. Older than 20 years (I believe that's right, but don't quote me) and Ames will not service the unit including calibrating it. You'd be surprised at how many of the units you see for sale are older than that. They all have a serial number and the folks at Ames are happy to let you know the units age. However, if you get a unit that the manufacturer won't service and it breaks....you wasted your money all together.

4. A service from Ames, or Clark for that matter, is going to cost you several hundred dollars minimum. So if the unit isn't working properly...expect to pay out the ass to get it fixed.

All of that said...I got mine...a Clark CPT...and it works great. I've tested mine against a local machine shop's regularly calibrated unit and it's really close to the same.

The more that I learn about hardness testers the more I feel that getting one for myself is not the way to go. I just may have to look a little harder for someone in town that offers the service.

Doug

i am with you doug. just cant seem to find anybody close, hope you have better luck than me.

i got mine from a guy on practical machinest as well just posted if someone had one they wanted to get rid of and someone had one. It's the only way you know how your heat treatment is working.

Back