Grizzly 10" contact wheel?

blancefitz

I just got my KMG variable speed grinder set up last night. I bought the 8" and thought I would make a spare arm and mount a 10" wheel from Grizzly on it. The Grizzly wheel doesn't appear to have a bearing in it. Are people that are using these wheels boring out the hole and pressing in a bearing?

I have never seen that done but that is probably due to it being a big part to machine. I have seen several guys set up a pair of pillow blocks and solid round bar. as an axle.

Do it.
I've had two 8" wheels and a 10" wheel done, and considering another 10".
$20 per to bore and press in bearings, that included bearings too. **This may not apply to your machine shop. The only draw back is that Grizzly only has smooth face wheels which are great for finishing but are slow going on heavey stock removal. They all work great and saved a lot of $.

Rudy

Thanks Rudy, that is what I needed to hear. However, after my first couple of attempts at hollow grinding a blade, I think I may hold off on buying another wheel right away. I may have to take up quilting or stamp collecting! They were atrocious. More facets than the hope diamond.

I have the 10 inch grizzly I set up with pillow blocks. If you do it that way I'd have a shaft turned to make it perfect. I used threaded rod and its a lil out of tune to say. I think I'm going to go have it bored and bearings put in it. I didn't realize it'd be that cheap . I have a friend making a precision shaft for it but I think it'd be best to eliminate that whole deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

You're welcome.
The longer you wait....the longer it will take.
Try starting your grind somewhere near the middle of the edge, not at the ricasso, keep the blade rigid with reasonable pressure. After you get a groove the the wheel can track in, start moving your grind either way.

Rudy

Rudy, what is the ID of that Grizzly wheel? My lathe chuck isn't large enough to clamp around outside. I think the max I can handle is about 8" ID by changing chuck jaws to the ID jaws. If I can handle that, I just might order a 10" wheel.

I've got an 8" wheel I ordered by USAKnifemakers that works really good, but perhaps a 10" would be a nice addition?

BTW, your comments on the "groove" helping to hold blade steady for the bevel are right on. I'm learning to do bevels that way, even when I want a flat grind, I can start with the 8" wheel to get a bevel started, then change to platen for the final flat grind. I tend to alternate starting my bevels with wheel and sometimes bubble jig.

Ken H>

Ken the inside lip on mine where they machined it is close to 8 inches but maybe just a bit over. I know you didn't ask me but I just figured I'd chime in lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in. I thought from looking at the photo of the Grizzly wheel, it might be about half inch of rubber on top of 1/2" of aluminum. That would leave about 8" for the inside lip. By clamping to inside of wheel lip, I'd be depending on it being accurate enough to keep rubber OD round. Wait, the trick is to use a 4 jaw chuck with a dial indicator to "center the existing hole, which would keep the new hole for the bearing centered.

Thanks to all, Ken H>

Ken,
8-1/8" diameter inside the lip. The center hub is plenty big enough for bearings but has sloped sides so you couldn't grab that to spin it. If I remember right.....I was there when it was turned. They grabed the wheel right on the rubber in their chuck. The fingers were long enough to span the entire width because they left light marks in the rubber.

Rudy

Last edited:
Thanks Rudy - chucking on outside would be the ideal way to do it for sure, but my lathe is only a 10"X22", and will just barely clear 10" from center of chuck to bedways, and my chucks are not large enough to chuck on outside of 10", but I'll do some measuring on the 4 jaw chuck to make sure it will do 8-1/8", if so, I might try this. I'm happy with my 8" wheel, but a 10" would be nice. I'm not sure there is that muck difference, but since you've got both, I'm assuming it's worthwhile.

Ken H>

Ken,
You're right, there's not that much difference. But I did find the 10" easier to walk up a wider blade for a wider grind profile. The 8" seems to want to bite into the grind more...could just be my perception of it. This also helps save time in setting up the 12" wheel which I've been using less and less.

Rudy

Hmmmm, 8", 10", AND 12" wheels? Rudy - you enjoy your toys as much as I do!!! My wife just doesn't understand, but I think I did get the point across to her one day. We were walking thru Sears, I saw some tools, and started looking at them..... she says "why are you looking at those tools? You've got tools?". My response was "well, you've got more jewelry than you can wear - why do you look at and want more jewelry?". It seems like that idea had never crossed her mind. Now, she doesn't say much about my tools.:)

Ken H>

Yeah, but it took about 38 years and more if you count my wood working tools to get here.
I know one thing for sure......I'd never have had anything if I'd ever listened to any woman.:what!::biggrin:

4" and 6" too. lol.

Rudy

Last edited:
Thank you for the link PT Doc - that is a very good thread. Bob is doing a GREAT job with his build. I think I'll order me a Grizzly 10" wheel. After doing some measuring I do think I can chuck the wheel in my 4-jawed chuck. I've got the Grizzly 10X22 lathe and had to grind the bed a tad to clear a 10" diameter work piece once upon a time.

Ken H>

Rudy - I fully understand how tools can accumulate over the years. I've only started accumulating bigger tools over the last few yrs. Living on a 40 ft sailboat over 35 yrs (edit: that should be "25" years) didn't leave much room to accumulate many large power tools. After selling the boat in 2009, and buying this place in 2010 - I'm making up for lost time:)

Ken H>

Last edited:
Ken,
Don't waste any time....you never know how much you have left.
Before the back operations 30+ years ago, I came within a gnats whisker of living on a boat. Would've gave my left, errrrrr you know what for that to come true. BUT NOoooooo........never what I want, I wound up with a bunch of tools and an addiction to metal.

Rudy

Well Rudy, sane folks don't live on boats - or that's what my Mom felt. She just couldn't understand, but she did enjoy the fishing trips. Boat life is much like riding motorcycles as basic transportation, "If you have to ask why - you'll never understand the answer" type of thing - just don't make sense! I raised a wife and two daughters onboard - they got growup (or felt they were:les:) and left me on the boat after 14 yrs of boat life. Now, when we all get together, tales of boat life are some of their fondest memories.

Ken H>

Back