Grinder Woes

Rob Nelson

Tonight I brought home a 2x42" Craftsman belt sander/grinder. For my needs and limitations it's great, and the price was very good. Living on an island limits your options when shipping bench tools costs as much or more than the tool itself! And the best part, it was a gift from my wife and kids who are excited for me to start into knifemaking.

So got it home, unpacked it, started setting it up with the minimalist instructions. Had to adjust a few things that were tightened down out of alignment, etc. Was able to adjust the top just fine, but the belt on the bottom kept sliding left into the housing and stalling out. If I took off the protective shielding and overadjusted the top to the far right, it would spin fine, but still to the left on the bottom with barely any room to spare. Ran a sheet of paper through between the housing and the belt around the bottom wheel and the belt snagged a pulled ... aha! Put a whole bunch of light on it, and stared at it for awhile and deduced that it had been dropped in such a way that the housing was bent in just enough that the belt could not clear, and not uniformly, so it pushed the belt to the left.

Taking it back tomorrow for another one. Oh well. Think I'll have a donut and watch some reruns. :2:

Congrats Chap. Like Rodney said.. Your HOOKED.. Thats OK its a the greatest addiction you could ever have!
Have fun and keep the sparks flyin! :)

God Bless
Randy

I just received and got started with the same grinder last week. For what it is, it does just fine. I think you will be more than please with it, once you get one that is undamaged.

My quick note on it for you (after my 1 night using it), there is not much area where you can shape on the edge of the belt unless you run it with the main side cover removed. If your tracking is ok, then this shouldn't be a big deal anyway.

Brad's right, the first thing to do is throw away the side cover. Then order or make a new platen face for it.

Hey Chap, another good score. Our Hilo Sears doesn't carry those units. I wonder if since the Oahu store have it, one can be shipped here. I guess they have enough umph to blade grind. I'm thinking of going the polarbear forge, "grinder in a box" route when work picks up...

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a full flat grind on the knife below in a couple of hours. Mainly going really light toward the end, so its got plenty of umph as long as you are being reasonable about what you need it to do. And for $160, its hard to argue with it.

If you want nice straight grind lines (and who doesn't) then James is right, a new platen should be very high on your list.

5160... 1.75" wide 5" long

2011-05-19%2021.24.24.jpg

Thanks folks! Ive been down with a flu (held a 102.9 temp for most of yesterday) so I didn't get a chance to swap out.

Doesn't Tracy sell platens? I'll add that to the list.

Redyak, sears will ship to store, although your plan sounds better. I went small since Uncle Sam moves us around so much.

Yup, good old JB weld. You should probably make a shelf of some kind for the bottom of it, in case the JB weld ever comes loose. You could just drive a couple short bolts through the existing platen to support it.

This pic shows how I removed the guards for quick belt changes and to allow access to the upper idler... it works OK as a contact wheel.

Attachments

• 2x42%2001.jpg
    2x42%2001.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi Chap, hope you're feeling better... is this the model, " Craftsman 21513 1/3 hp Electric Belt/Disc Sander (21513)"? In these economic times, I think this model will do for now. One can always upgrade later.

redyak, that's the one. I bought it online for $135.99, but had it for pick up at the store. I just swapped the broke one at Ala Moana, last one on Oahu, but more due in. I think online they have free shipping to store this week for bench tools. I set it up, the gap between the guard and the bottom wheel was 3 times as wide as the broke one. It still tracks a little left on the bottom, as if the top and bottom aren't lined up true, but only by a smidge. I'm going to keep it, already started grinding on #2 knife. Had to stop as I nicked my left pinky on the disc, forgot that was on the end and spinning. Had turned it off, and was going to put my hand up and ow!

I love that grinder. Sorry yours has issues, that sucks. They're great as long as you don't force the metal into them. They will stall. I'm actually running 4 of them right now. 1 set up with 36 grit belts, 1 with 80, 1 with 180 or with 400 grit cork and one set up for grips. The first thing I do to mine is cut away the entire right side and top of the guard and then caulk a 2" x 4" piece of ceramic tile to the platen. The tiles are from home depot for like 2 bucks. One edge is curved so I cut that part off and am left with 2 square cut sides that the belt just completely covers. The only wonky thing about them is the tracking which sucks on all of them even before I cut away half of the guard.

Jericoh, I'm gonna hold off cutting away on the guard until I'm off island and can find replacements, but that is sounding like a good idea. Small world, I used to live in Cumming, 2004-2006, on the west side. Mahalo!

I don't blame you there chap. Sounds like getting replacement parts in fun to say the least.

Yeah Cumming is interesting. I live in north Forsyth, almost in Dawsonville.

Back