grinder table and set up

SHOKR

hey all

i'm designing the table to carry the belt grinder (and possible disc sander). the table should carry the grinder, the motor and an inverter plus have bit of space as well.
i thought of 75x90x75cm (29.5x35.4x29.5inch) table (i'll grind sitting on a bar stool).
can you guys give me pointers, suggestions, pitfalls to avoid, so on? the height of work level will be about 93cm (table + grinder) is the set up in the first pic ok or motor too close to grinder?
these two set ups are the most simple, i am leaning toward having the motor below the grinder, but seems too much hassle.
many thanks

Photo0251.jpgPhoto0254.jpg

I suggest that you have the wheels/belts overhanging the table like in picture 2. That way when (not if) a belt breaks it pretty well just falls away. If there is table under the belt it has nowhere to go so may come around and hit you in the face. You do not want a 40 grit Blaze belt hitting you in the face. If you don't believe me ask Fred Rowe.

First and foremost, a grinder should be set to the proper working height for YOU. That means that when standing in front of the machine, with your the heels of you hands resting just below your ribs.....the main grinding area should be right there. No reaching up or down. As long as everything is at the proper working height for you, everything else is optional.
Personally I like the motor mounted under the bench in the same fashion as a table saw motor is mounted......it's a bit more difficult to setup and wire that way, but the motor is out of the way, and you have much more usable space on top of the bench.

It sounds like you would like to sit and grind. I do, and I find it much more comfortable than standing there.

There are a couple of ways to get the stability that Ed is referring to when sitting. One is to set up low to the ground and put your elbows on your knees so the can contact the wheel or Platen.
Another that I do is to brace my arms at my sides and lean forward and lean to the sides at your waist keeping your butt parked on the chair.

You may want a chair with more support than a Bar stool to start? But I do use one when Convex Grinding on my KMG Rotary Platen.

Also don't let anyone tell you it won't work! I had a couple Knife Makers tell me I would never get decent grinds sitting. I figured out how to make it work.

I am put together with Titanium bars in my lower back and can get around fine!
I just can stand in one place very long. So I sit and grind my knives.

Also what Wayne said about having the wheel over hang the work bench. I have had a 36 Grit A/O belt break and slap me in the face.
I have Prescription Safety Glasses and always were a Ball cap when grinding. You will be surprised how fast the bill can get ground on the edge.
I call it my Grinding Curb scrapper!
Saves your nose and helps keep irate broken grinding belts from slapping you in the face.

P.S. Don't forget your Respirator.
Have Fun!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

Last edited:
Glad I read this post. Im new to knife making. In fact I've not made one on my own yet. Just got my TW90 grinder in today....and I was planning on making a table this weekend. Didn't even think about the belt breaking and hitting me in the face. Im ugly enough without scars.....thanks for the tip

I'm also 6'8" tall and I was trying to figure out how high to build the table. So this was very helpful for me too

I've not made many post here yet but I have read a lot. But that's going to change because I'm going to need a lot of help. Trying to learn how to make a knife over the Internet is going to be very challenging.

Glad I read this post. Im new to knife making. In fact I've not made one on my own yet. Just got my TW90 grinder in today....and I was planning on making a table this weekend. Didn't even think about the belt breaking and hitting me in the face. Im ugly enough without scars.....thanks for the tip

I'm also 6'8" tall and I was trying to figure out how high to build the table. So this was very helpful for me too

I've not made many post here yet but I have read a lot. But that's going to change because I'm going to need a lot of help. Trying to learn how to make a knife over the Internet is going to be very challenging.

Edgejunkie.
You did right by getting a Top Shelf knife maker grinder. It will help you out LOADS!
I started reading knife making books So the internet is a big step up!

I am 6 ft 4 and change so I understand the difficulty's living in a world of Lilliputians.
Make your bench as tall as you need it even if others can park their nose on the edge.

When a belt goes it sounds like someone squeezed off a 9mm round right in your face!
Very sobering effect it can have on you.

Yo Do Di Yo Do... Yo do di du da BLAM! Whoa! O" sh%t! Snaps you right back into reality!
Doesn't happen very offen, But when it does!! Watch out!
A ball cap is great protection to deflect a snapped belt and it helps keep all the metal grindings out of your hair or just off your head depending on your follicle condition.

Have fun with that new grinder.

Laurence

www.westsidesharpening.com/

Thanks Wayne, that's a GOOD tip!!

thanks Ed, i spent 2 days actually trying to decide the almost perfect height for me, but since i never used teh grinder before been having trouble deciding my actual posture when grinding. what you said does eliminate lots of variables

thanks Laurence, i guess the posture will come by trial, probably will try and use a chair with adjustable height, that might help if the end result varies a bit.

Edgejunkie, enjoy the new grinder :)

maganinooo,
Yes!
You will adapt your posture over time. For what gives the best results and what is the most comfortable over time.

I just notice that you are in the land of the Pyramids, You should have great access to Damascus/Pattern welded steels over there.

There tools may be different? But I would gleam as much knowledge as possible from the local Metal Smiths. Steel, Copper, Bronze? All of it is helpful!

You have access to many multi- Generation metal workers in that country.

Keep us posted!

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

actually Laurence, there is no damascus steel here, yet ;)

and yeah i have been trying to find a local smith to teach me, but considering the state of the country they get skeptical and extremely suspicious.
here, alas, it is considered that i am well off financially or well educated and the smith isn't very much so, so it is considered strange that i would leave the "good" life and seek the harder one.

but i actually took a shot at forging before, and few days ago met someone who said will take me to a smith where i can learn making knives and axes! so we'll see :D

about the tools, most of the ones i saw don't bother with "real" tools, so instead of an anvil you might find one using an old large gear. so on. also the majority of the ones i met do fer forge work almost exclusively, but i know i havent even scratched the surface yet.
anyway its not easy, but thats the way i like it :D

lets hope i can find a way to access that

will do, thanks Laurence!

I generally mean a home brew forge welding steel.
May not be a Damascus as we think of it? Times have changed and they may be using truck & auto springs
etc.. As a source of Steel.

I love watching locals make things. You really see how little they can get by with in a minimalist situation.

As you stated You have only started looking there. I would suggest buying a item or two if you can to get some trust started before you hit them with, Wow man! Can you teach me how you do dat?

I am sure you are more eloquent than that, But a few bucks goes along way to getting a re-pore started. I am sure that the man needs work now more than ever with the messed up situation they have with the military running things.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com/

very true, here i found some craftsmen do wonders with so little.
and i hear about people making machetes from leaf springs yes.

actually that's a good idea!

i do offer them money for their "time and effort" but buying something upfront can be good gesture

yeah the country is going cuckoo! tomorrow is actually the presidential elections! supposedly the first unbiased, non corrupt and free one of its kind for our country.
lets hope for good change!

It sounds like you would like to sit and grind.

Unless it's necessary because of a disability..... DON'T! Although you don't hear much about it happening (mainly because most are embarrassed to admit it) sitting is the most dangerous position you can be in for grinding...you simply can't get out of the way if you need to, and many vital areas of your body are exposed. Also, unless your intent is to use a rest and grinding jig, it's impossible to be stable if grinding from a sitting position.

Unless it's necessary because of a disability..... DON'T! Although you don't hear much about it happening (mainly because most are embarrassed to admit it) sitting is the most dangerous position you can be in for grinding...you simply can't get out of the way if you need to, and many vital areas of your body are exposed. Also, unless your intent is to use a rest and grinding jig, it's impossible to be stable if grinding from a sitting position.

thanks Ed warning

i never did much grinding before and none at all with a kmg so no experience there, but wouldnt grinding standing for long periods cause strain? or if i actually get tired might make mistakes be it damaging to blade or myself?

there is no way to protect body while sitting?

i was going to use rest mostly i think, but no jig.

Grinding isn't easy.....whether standing or sitting. It requires intense concentration, a steady hand/body, and lots of practice......to the point where everything becomes muscle memory. Yes, it will tire you out.....for me the most exhausting days in the shop are those that I spend the entire day grinding......for me it's not so much physical, but more so mentally. One of the things that I teach students is that when you're at the grinder, nothing in the world matters beyond those two inches of belt that are in front of you.
As far as protecting yourself in a sitting position, I just don't see how it's possible, short of installing a steel "shelf" between your lower body and the machine. In general there is just so much more of you exposed to danger, and moving out of the way IF something does happen is pretty much impossible. As I said, unless you have a physical disability that just requires you to sit while grinding, I think it's a very bad idea.

Last edited:
thanks a lot Ed

well i guess i can't ignore such a warning specially from someone with your experience :D

thanks again

Back