Grinder Motor

I'd be a little concerned about the 5 minute duty. I think that you need a continuous duty motor. I'd at least be sure to check it out with someone knowledgeable about motors before purchasing one.

Doug Lester

TOOOO fast. I hooked one of those 3450 motors up on mine and could not get it turned off fast enough.

I'd be a little concerned about the 5 minute duty. I think that you need a continuous duty motor. I'd at least be sure to check it out with someone knowledgeable about motors before purchasing one.

Doug Lester

That's the only thing I was worried about.

TOOOO fast. I hooked one of those 3450 motors up on mine and could not get it turned off fast enough.
Let me re-phrase that:

TOOO fast, if you are going to use step pulleys. If it is going to be direct drive or 1 to 1 it would be just right. When I hooked the 3450 motor up on my welded NWG I had it on the fast speed. I never tried it on a slower speed but if you kept it to 1 to 1 or slower it would be fine. Of course the duty cycle is a problem too. Generally 2 hp motors are considerabily more expensive. I know everyone touts 2 hp but I lean into my grinder pretty good and don't bog it down. It all has to do with drive belt tension and grinder belt tension. If you do bog it down just switch to the next slower speed.

I agree with the other guys. I would be leery of that motor. One place it says 5 min. duty and on the other side it says intermittent duty. You need a motor that says continuous duty.

Larry

I agree with the other guys. I would be leery of that motor. One place it says 5 min. duty and on the other side it says intermittent duty. You need a motor that says continuous duty.

Larry

What he said.Also need TEFC,totally enclosed fan cooled.
Stan

Stay away from that motor! I know another fella who went with that one....he wound up spending his money twice to get a motor that worked.

It's TOO FAST, and lasted him all of two days.

Find yourself a 1725 or 1750RPM, continuous duty, fully enclosed, fan cooled motor. They're not difficult to find, and if your patient, you can usually find really good deals on them.

I'm lucky in that I have an electric motor repair shop in my town. Any time I purchase a used motor, I simply take it in and have to looked at before I every use it. If any repairs are needed, I get them done before I ever install the motor(s). Nothing is worst than hooking up a motor, and it either doesn't work, or works for a short while then goes out on you.

Got the picture guys, thanks.

I went ahead and ordered the tracking wheel and drive wheel from Tracy today instead of the motor. I will keep watching for a decent motor on craigslist and ebay.

GOOD ADVISE !

All of these folks have very good advise! I have a lot of machines with single speed motors, mostly 1750 rpm and the totally enclosed ones are a must! Dust and grit will do in the open ones real fast. I have recently found great deals on Ebay for 1.5 hp & 2hp dc motors and also the controllers. Nothing beets turning a knob for your speed control. I always save and spend my money on quality products rather than finding something cheap to buy in hast!
Take Care,
Clint Sampson
Sampson Knifeworks

I couldn't imagine 3450 on my NWG, like Wayne said the speed using the step pulleys would be MOVIN. Craigs list is your friend, I got my new take off motor(1740rpm 3 hp single phase TEFC) for $120 from a guy off craigs list, Im usually VERY impatient when it comes to buying stuff(just ask Tracey, LOL) patience will def pay off if you just watch craigs list and ebay... one will pop up. And when you are being impatient, buy what you need from Tracey.... hes a fast feller :running dog: ...

I found a 1.5 baldor on craigslist for $150 it had been sitting for 6 yrs and was never used. It is 1.5 but it is a monster I got an awesome deal it is a $400-500 new.

You CAN use a 3 phase motor if you get a single to three phase VFD controller, their are a bunch of em. I know they convert single phase electricity to 3 phase, I know they have to be rated for the HP motor you are going to use. Someone will chime in that knows more about it, Im a step pulley guy lol.

Back