Grinder for a novice

It is not a whole lot more to build a NWG than to get a Grizzley. You still have to assemble the Grizzley. I started out buying a Grizzley, then kept seeing the set up of a Bader so thought I needed a grinder with that configuration. Bought one at Quad State but unfortunately only got one that looks like it was a good useable machine. Last year I welded up a NWG and started doing workshops. The total cost of a workshop is $900.00 and you go home with a machine with an 8" and 2" wheels with flat platten and slack belt areas. I will be reposting pictures and my brochure. If you will get 10 people in your area to attend the workshop, make all of the local arrangments and pay my travel expenses I will get everything together to build the grinders, come with my own living quarters, and supervise the builds. For doing the local work you get $100.00 off the cost of your participation.
Mine looks a lot like Shankmakers, just a different, more versitile, tool arm.
I am conducting a workshop at the New England School of Metalwork, www.newenglandschoolofmetalwork.comthe 6-7-May, 2010.
I use 4 step pulleys and feel that this gives plenty of speed veriation. A similar set up by KMG is about $1853.00 or about twice as much. KMG does not offer the rotating tool set up or 4 step pulleys.
My suggestion is build a NWG, or host one of my workshops, or buy a KMG.
Lots of choices here with the decision mainly governed by $$$$you want to spend.
I believe that one BIG advantage to building your own machine (or attending a workshop) is that because you built it you know how and why it works. If you need to fix or want to change something you know how to do it and arn't afraid of messing up an expensive machine.

Russell,the NWG is the only real grinder I have ever used and it can be built cheap.I have less than $500 in mine.Some of the steel was free,also,I had to replace the bearings,but my 1 1/2 hp motor was free.It may take a little looking,but there is a lot of things that can be had cheap,or free.

Go with the NWG,you wont regret it.Here's mine

God bless,Keith

Last edited:
I love my KMG. Im a steel fabricator and it gets used for a lot more than just knives. And whats realy nice is that I can change the belt in less than 10 seconds.

Looks great Jeff.
How do you like the work rest being non adjustable? Yours is a cleaner look then the original design on these but not sure about the fixed position.
I may copy that if you dont mind but will probably try to make mine adjustable.
Again....great looking build.

I like the rest. it has some adjustment. in and out. it is just like the kmg tool rest. I'am making a new rest that is fully adjustable. i will post pictures when it's done.

Back