Greetings from the Frozen North

clancy

I'm Ernie Balch from Ballston Spa NY
I have lurked for a while and posted occasionally.

I pound hot steel on weekends and am getting my shop fixed up so I can use it every day after I retire in a couple years.

My big interest right now is in using photoresist to pattern and etch knives.

Attachments

• flower knife.jpg
    flower knife.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 23
  • etched pattern.jpg
    etched pattern.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 24
  • lion3.jpg
    lion3.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 25
Hello and welcome to Knife Dogs!

I spent a lot of time fishing Lake George for smallmouth back in the day. Born and raised around Syracuse.

Good looking knives sir!

BC

Hi Ernie, I am just getting into the pounding hot steel thing. I caught the bug last year. Going to pick up a forge monday and going to a hammer-in next weekend. That photoresist stuff looks pretty intresting. I have used some silver patterned sheet in the jewelry trade that was called photo etch. I assume its the same thing? Doug

Howdy Ernie, great to have you in the pack, Hehe, the retirement is not all its cracked up to be... Kidding, see ya in the forums.

Welcome steel pounder,
I think you have some of my G-11 already.
I did and do appreciate the purchase. Hope you are making good use of it.
Jim

Bill,
I also grew up near Syracuse, (Cazenovia actually).
All my fishing was up at Black Lake or the St lawrence Lake George was (and is) a little too overrun by rich big city types.

Doug,
Photoresist is like a paint you put on your metal that will "resist" attack by the etchant. When you put a mask that has clear and opaque areas on the surface and expose it to UV light the clear areas of the mask get crosslinked. You develop the resist to wash away the non crosslinked areas giving you a nice pattern to etch into the metal. After you etch and rinse the blade you can strip off the resist.

ernie

Back