Greetings from Oregon

RandyR

KNIFE MAKER
All,
I have been here a while and made a few posts but realized I never took the step of introducing myself.

I am an Air Force veteran and recently retired after a 30 year career as a mechanical engineer and program manager. I worked for Honeywell Aerospace in Phoenix designing attitude control and guidance equipment for satellites, rockets and the space shuttle. Not a rocket scientist but it sure was exciting seeing my stuff fly (even better when it worked). My wife and I relocated to Oregon after retirement to be closer to family and I have been spending most of my time remodeling and repairing the house we bought in Foster.

I lived next door to Charles Weiss for several years and, over time, I became his semi-resident engineer, equipment troubleshooter, folder designer and even field medic. In return, he helped me to get started making knives. Seeing his extraordinary work really was an eye opener and provided a lot of motivation. Over the years I have made 40 or 50 knives, mostly for friends and relatives and I am finally getting back to making more now that my shop is mostly up and running. I am finding that, since it has been awhile since I made any, I am having to re-learn a lot of challenging lessons (like 36 grit belts remove flesh much faster than steel). I have several new designs in work and look forward to showing them and getting your feedback as they are completed.

I am a old dog but still have a lot to learn and I am excited to participate in a forum with so many world class makers willing to share advice and ideas.

Welcome, Randy!

KnifeDogsWelcome1.gif

Randy it is nice to have you here with us on Knife Dogs. Like Jeff said please post pics of your work with you can.

Welcome to the pack Randy. It's good to have you among us. I'll just say "ditto" to the pic request. We love pics here.

Back