Great Smoky Mountains picture thread

I enjoyed having you. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. Hopefully they don't make me look to bad.
hello there

Visiting Wayne Coe

Mr. Coe was kind enough to show us step by step how he makes a Prarie Diamond ring and tell us the story behind them, as well as a beautiful rose made entirely of steel.

1) Forming a horseshoe nail around the ring mandrel.
2) After a couple tweaks, Miss Lydia's Prairie Diamond ring is a perfect fit!
3) These will become the petals and leaves of a rose that never wilts.
4) Wayne begins putting texture and shape to the petals.
5) Starting to really take shape.

Attachments

• Mr Coe Visit 003.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 003.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Mr Coe Visit 006.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 006.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Mr Coe Visit 009.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 009.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Mr Coe Visit 015.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 015.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Mr Coe Visit 016.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 016.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Wayne Coe continues

1) Putting grooves in the steel stem of the rose with Big Blu and dies he made himself. Then it will be twisted, and have a couple thorns forged in to make it look even more natural and "woody".

2) A tenon has been forged in and threaded to accept the leaves and petals. Here Wayne is stamping his touch-mark into the stem.

3) The rose is assembled and ready for lots of artful handwork. Wayne took his time and got everything just right.

4) All threaded together, peened snug and treated with turpentine and beeswax to protect it. Wayne brushed the whole piece with a brass bar while still warm to give it nice golden highlights. Beautiful!

5) Moe kept an eye on the proceedings. He's a sweetheart.

If you ever have the chance to visit with Mr. Coe or take a class from him, don't hesitate! He's a great guy and a very good teacher, taking time to explain each step. I learned a bunch in a couple short hours with him. He also happens to be a funny son-of-a-gun :D

Attachments

• Mr Coe Visit 019.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 019.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Mr Coe Visit 022.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 022.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Mr Coe Visit 025.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 025.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Mr Coe Visit 028.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 028.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Mr Coe Visit 004.jpg
    Mr Coe Visit 004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14
BTW we didn't make it to the show in Sevierville Saturday, but we did go to SMKW. The girls wandered off on their own and I spent most of my time in the musuem upstairs. Among many other really cool things, they had one whole wall dedicated to Bill Moran. It was awesome! I never saw a Moran in person before and it was really inspiring. They even had the actual fighting knife he built for his chapter in "How to Make Knives", how cool is that? (if you don't have a copy of that book, you need to get one; truly a classic)

I love that area up there in the Smoky Mts. I have even thought seriously about selling out and moving up there, the only thing that has kept me here is my kids live close by.
Cade's Cove loop road is one of the best trips you will ever take. The day I had the family up there the folks would stop and take pictures of the wild life every so often.
This fellar behind us would be blowing his horn and cursing about the group of cars stopping. It always seemed that there would be traffic from the other way or it was narrow or some reason that this fellow couldn't get by to get to get to whatever he deemed so important. :confused::confused:
Well I consider myself fairly laid back but after the third or forth time it began to got to me. I got out of my car and asked him what the hell his problem was. I said if you didn't come up to see the scenery and the wildlife what were you even doing here. I then proceeded to tell him that I would pull over at the first opportunity and let him by but that if he didn’t lay off the horn and the profanities I was going to put that horn someplace the sun didn't shine. :eek: His wife leaned over and seemed to be having a serious conversation with him about his actions! When I completed promoting my line of thought to him the crowd from the cars in front and back of me begin to applaud. Funny, I did not even realize at the time that we had an audience, but I guessed that I was not the only one that was tired of his actions.
We got along just fine after that! At first opportunity I lived up to my side of the bargain and pulled over and motioned him by. Which he did with a glare but I took the high road and smiled, said a$$401e under my breath and waved goodbye to a big jerk!!!!!!!!! I then proceeded to have one of the best days I ever had!

Last edited:
C Craft, I know what you mean. At the Cosby campground there was a family a few sites down who ran a gas generator constantlly from 8AM to 8PM for two days. I don't get it, but it is a public park and they had as much right to be there as we did. They were technically abiding by the park rules ( you can bet I checked :D) so I didn't raise a fuss but I was sure glad when they left.

To be fair, most folks by far in every state and national park I've been to are much quieter and just want to listen to the birds and see wildlife and such. We had a nice conversation with a couple from NY after the husband noticed me having a little trouble with damp firewood and offered some hot coals from his fire. We gave them a tip on a nice little swimming hole and my daughter carved them a pendant (no one told her to, it was her idea cuz they were so nice... that made me proud :))

I don't get it either. To many times I have set up camp only to have some one nearby blast a boom box all weekend or else bring their generator, TV and everything else they can drag into the woods.

Cades Cove is a great drive but people need to be aware that it is a long, narrow, slow, one-way road. Once you start, you are commited to drive the whole thing. If you are in a hurry to get someplace it is not a road to take.

Back