granite platen liner ?

steelerfan88

I know a reputable maker who uses a 1/4" thick slab of polished granite tile for his platen liner....first I heard of using that but seems like a great idea....not many things harder than granite.....seems like a sound idea. Anybody ever tried it ? He says it is virtually indestructable and far superior to any glass. I am gonna try it myself I think

whatever works!. I've used the pyrocem glass, bathroom tile from the alley dumpster, You want it to be FLAT, Hard and to dissipate heat faster than the steel platen.

Here's a really stupid question:

How do you bevel the leading/trailing edge of the granite or pyrocem glass so that the belt doesn't ride a 90deg corner? For the granite I'm thinking you can grind the corners off using the grinder before you install it, but you can't do this with the glass, can you?

Here's a really stupid question:

How do you bevel the leading/trailing edge of the granite or pyrocem glass so that the belt doesn't ride a 90deg corner? For the granite I'm thinking you can grind the corners off using the grinder before you install it, but you can't do this with the glass, can you?

There is no need to radius the edges if you set up your grinder correctly. Tension the belt to normal working position then move platen out until it just barely touches the back of the belt then tighten it down...done if your belt is riding firmly against the leading and trailing edges of your platen then you have it adjusted out to far.

I think its a matter of finding a suitable material, thats readily/locally available for a lot of folks. Personally, I've never come across a piece of granite that I felt would work, or I would have tried it. I've scoured the local hardware and tile stores, and am yet to find a piece of tile that I thought would work as well as the ceramic glass. I'm with Laurence..... if it works, then its "right". :)

Personally, I'm lucky that my mom does stained glass work...and has a glass grinder! :) For the way I grind, I want the leading/trailing edges of the platen just a fraction outward, to the point that if I'm working with something longer then the platen, the work piece doesn't get "gouged" by the top or bottom contact wheel. That certainly doesn't make any other method "wrong"....again, its what's best suited to each individual.

The local outfit I purchase my ceramic glass platen liners from will bevel or radius the edges if requested, but after having them do it once, and not liking the results, I just go to my Mom's place and use her glass grinder.

I'll stick to the glass shop, then. I do want the edges radiused because I also extend the platen out just a bit for exactly the reasons Ed says. It's not hurting anything but the belt and that's the disposable wear item anyway.

That awesone Frank! Thats what I love about knifedogs! Folks with tons of experience like Frank, sharing!

Do you glass user confirm the static discharge thing? I'm out to find a glass suitable for the task cause i would like to update my steel platen. Thanks

Stefano

If you can get a granite piece at a low cost, try that. Any smooth surface can cause the static thing. Just get a can of clothes spray and when it happens spray the inside of the moving belt for a few seconds only.
Frank

Stezann there is an anti static cling clothes spay. If I find it tonight at work I'll post a pic.

Do you glass user confirm the static discharge thing? I'm out to find a glass suitable for the task cause i would like to update my steel platen. Thanks

Stefano

there will be static build up using a glass platen. It's basically a static generator - especially in dry air. Easy to fix. Just keep a can of laundry anti-static spray handy and spray around the grinder and inside the belt and it will really knock it down.

Back