Gotta lay down the hammer for a while

jonathan creason

I've developed a nastly case of tendonitis in my right ring finger, that seems to get worse every time I spend some time over the anvil. I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to step out of the Neo tribe for a while and join the world of cutting and grinding. I tried putting it off as long as I could, but it's just gotten too dang painful.

Stock removal isn't a death sentence! There is a whole new skill set there to learn and enjoy.
still, I hope you heal up soon and get back to what you prefer.

Have you ever looked into the Hofi Hammer method? It completely changed the way I forge and greatly reduced hand fatigue/shock. I no longer lean over the anvil, can forge for longer periods of time, was able to increase my max hammer weight by 2lbs and my hand/arm/shoulder/back feels better than ever. When using the method, you are mostly gripping with the thumb, index and middle finger, with your palm facing the anvil, as opposed to the knuckles down traditional hammer grip. The technique is a whipping motion and the hammer head travels in a straight line, up and down. Imagine yourself bouncing a basketball. The key to the whole thing is that you are only assisting the hammer rather than driving it. You apply force to the hammer only during the stroke. Upon impact, you essentially release your grip and catch it on the rebound. Buy the DVD, you won't be sorry.

But I agree, when you are hurting, it is best to take some time off. Quick healing!

Thanks Rick, I'll have to look into that DVD. I'm still hurting, but it has eased up some. Hopefully I'll be as good as new in a couple of months and can get back to hammering. Maybe this technique will keep me from slipping back.

There's also a variation of the hofi method that stormcrow showed me then i adapted it to suite the way i work. in essence you treat the hammer like a drum stick and do a single stroke roll on the face of you anvil. does take a bit of pinky training but it definitely extended my forging time.

I use that, too. James knows his hammer technique for sure. I am also a working drummer so the Hofi method came easy. There is a drum method called the Moeller Technique that closely resembles the Hofi way. I use a mash up of these styles.

take care of yourself. set pride aside. besides, they are all stock removal at some point. grinder work is an art, too. For sure. Files, too.
I had to have a hand surgery. Now I listen. I also bought a hydraulic press... Damascus is too much fun.
kc

Back