Got some ironwood today

redhorsetactical

Picked up about 60 lbs of ironwood today. Now to figure out the best way to cut it up.
tezatype.jpg
I put my crkt m16 there as size comparison. The guy I bought this from has several logs and a pretty big chunk if anyone is interested. Really nice guy to deal with.

Just a bit on the wood. This came from an older man that doesn't have much money but does have access and permission to property out here that has some fallen trees on it. I don't know much about the harvesting but I tried to help him out a bit. He sold me what I have for 40 bucks. I told him that if he were to turn the solid pieces with no cracks into bowl blanks the 4x4 blocks he could make a bit off of those. Or even 6x6 blocks. I tried to give him a little more selling power rather than just take advantage of him. Because I don't really think he knows what all he has there. When I told him that I've seen 4x4 solid blocks going for 100 bucks or more his eyes lit up a bit. And to be honest I was glad my transaction was already over. But he doesn't seem like the type of guy to over charge. He was a pretty honest dude.

So with all that said if anyone else would be interested in some just holler and ill get ya set up with him to work it out

an armed society is a polite society

The price of Ironwood per block really depends on what your end block looks like. The more burl the better.

Those aren't burls obviously, but you can have some good attractive pieces out of those branches providing they aren't split or have dead spots in the middle. Cutting up Real true Desert Ironwood, "Olneya tesota" Can be a real adventure and in case you didn't know? There are several woods called Ironwood.

Wear a real respirator when you cut it or work it. I have gotten nasal infections from not wearing a mask with that stuff. Have fun!

Also seal the ends and stack them where you can let them set out of the weather for a couple years of more depending on how dry they were when they were cut and how thick the blocks are. A moisture meter would be nice to have too. Anywhere that would carry wood turning supplies should have them or you could check Amazon or Ebay.

Doug

The price of Ironwood per block really depends on what your end block looks like. The more burl the better.

Those aren't burls obviously, but you can have some good attractive pieces out of those branches providing they aren't split or have dead spots in the middle. Cutting up Real true Desert Ironwood, "Olneya tesota" Can be a real adventure and in case you didn't know? There are several woods called Ironwood.

Wear a real respirator when you cut it or work it. I have gotten nasal infections from not wearing a mask with that stuff. Have fun!

Yea ther isn't any burl but there are some nice clean patterns in the shape of the log. Its kinda dog legged a bit. With some branches coming off so we will see. I read some of burl sources post on cutting so hopefully I can get access to a band saw soon. Haha for sure will wear a respirator. Yea its the olneya tesota. He obtained it out here on a rangers property. There are some cracks on one end of my log but the other is solid. I'm going to try n cut it up into more managable pieces for me and ill chase the cracks then. Hopefully they won't be to deep.

Also seal the ends and stack them where you can let them set out of the weather for a couple years of more depending on how dry they were when they were cut and how thick the blocks are. A moisture meter would be nice to have too. Anywhere that would carry wood turning supplies should have them or you could check Amazon or Ebay.

Doug

Yea this tree has been dead fall for a long time he said possibly decades. A moisture meter would be nice though. I'm going to try to find a meter out here to check it. Just to be safe.

Back