Gorilla Super Glue-Jim Adams

scherar

Just got through reading glue wars again and reading Jim's recent response that he uses Gorilla Super Glue exclusively. If you (Jim Adams or anyone that uses super glues for handle attachment) could kind of describe how you work with it. You don't have to go into great detail about your process, but a couple of questions. I use it to "tack" things together when drilling and so on, and it seems to hold quite well (but sometimes it doesn't). I have read that it isn't great with impacts, but I like the time frame piece of it. Here are some questions regarding it:
-The biggest question is how do you work with something that sets so fast? One slip up and then what? I use slow set epoxy now and don't know if I could handle a 5 min.
-Do you attach one scale, drill, attach the other and then pin?
-Do you clamp at all? I use clamps with moderate pressure to make sure there are no seams. It doesn't seem like there would be time to get one in place before it has set up for the most part.
-Do you cover the whole tang or handle with a coat of super glue and then press together or do you put the glue around the tang/handle seam while holding it together? It seems like when I use it to tack (for hole drilling) a scale to a tang I usually mess up when I put a drop on the tang and then try and put the scale in place. It seems to set before I get it in the correct position. I do better when I hold the scale in place and then put a drop along the seam.

Hopefully this makes sense. It sounds like a bunch of ramble mamble to me!

The only time I use super glue to hold scales on is when I'm using corby bolts for fasteners.
I place one scale on,use 4 spring clamps 2 on front and 2 on rear.remove front clamps and apply super glue around the edge,it will wick in,replace clamps and remove back clamps and repeat.Drill pin holes,do the other side the same.And don't forget to drill the pin holes before gluing on the second scale.Install corbys by inserting one side,apply a little super glue inside the hole and screw together.Let it sit for about 30 minuets and done.
Stan

I have been working with Jim at his shop and thus have picked up this method for my scales. The Gorilla Super Glue says something about "Impact Tough Formula". I'll have to check the specs on the mix to see what that is.

Don't know that I would trust full scales to ONLY the glue, but a liberal amount on the tang, then press one scale on and into a vise for about 30 seconds. Drill any holes for pins, liberal amount on other side of tang, press on scale and into vise for about 30 seconds. drill remaining holes. For the pins (I like tubes)... I will start my pin/tube just a fraction, then put a bead of glue around the pin and insert fully. You do have to work fast, but as long as you already have the plan for what you are gonna do, its not that bad.

Hi Walter,
For me, I only use super glue on handles that are going up to a pre-installed bolster or finger guard. I use the thick longer cure type, put a bead of it on the tang then put the scale on until tight with bolster holding tight with your finger and using a cant twist clamp to squeeze out excess glue. sometimes I un-clamp temporarily to re-aline then clamp again. Work fast and do one side at a time, drill then do the other side. Maybe a shop visit someday so I can show you.
Clint

Back