Good Deal on Surface Grinder in TN

Plas62

I found a good deal on a nice surface grinder near Nashville, TN. Unfortunately I don't have any practical way to pick it up and transport it back to GA. I spoke with the guy who owns and he does not have any way to load it onto a truck at his garage. I thought I'd post the link here in case one of the "Dogs" closer to Nashville may be interested and have the means to move it.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/tls/3997621608.html

$450!! WOW - that is a good deal. That would be worth traveling a ways to purchase.... "IF" a person has a hoist on on his truck. That thing would weight.... how much? several hundred pounds for sure.

Ken H>

If I were going to go get it I'd take my pickup truck and small trailer (2000lb capacity) ,take an engine hoist,drive to Nashville (8-9hrs.),load it up and drive back home.
If I didn't have plans to go to the National Knife Museum after the Guild show I would pick it up on the way back home.

Take this FWIW.

I moved my Boyar Shultz in a pickup truck no problem at all. Estimated weight is 900#

It is not an exact match to this machine so this would need verified but, My boyar is only held to the base with 4 bolts.

So to move pretty much any SG you should remove the table and chuck. Done handily by two guys. You don't want to travel with the table in place because there is nothing mechanical holding it in place. It just rides on the ways and will lift right off.

So a good bit of weight has been eliminated there.

Not sure how much the cabinet would weigh but again easily loadable by two guys.

An engine hoist will pick one of these up without breaking a sweat.

The actual grinder frame, tower, motor may or may not be able to be loaded by a couple guys.

Ideally though a fella would pull the table and chuck, unbolt the grinder from the cabinet, load the grinder then load the cabinet. 3 main pieces and a easy and safe load.

THESE MACHINES ARE EXTREMELY TOP HEAVY AND WILL MOST LIKELY TIP OVER IN TRANSIT IF HAULED FULLY ASSEMBLED .

That all said. My local Rental yard has giant engine hoists. They have wheels and flip up to hook right onto the reese hitch on your truck. The rental was $20 a day if you pick up and drop off.

If a fella was really wanting this he could probably locate a rental hoist close to the seller then blow into town, pick up the hoist, load the machine, return the hoist. 30 minutes later your on your way home.

Or, with the addition of some heavy machinery to the shop I picked up a hoist from Craigslist for $100 so now I can move stuff any old time.

Just some things to think about. Where there's a will there's a way :)

Josh

The fellow who own's said it weighs about 800-900 lbs. Josh, thanks for the advise it sounds like it would be doable like that. I think I'm going to hold off on it for now. I plan on ordering a heat treat oven and possibly a mini mill in the near future and if I would go for this SG now it would set those purchase back for a while. When needed I can use the surface grinder at work, but it sure would be nice to have one in my shop sometime down the road.

Jim

I'm in Nashville, if you'd like to float me the funds I'll gladly by it to stop the temptation.

Seriously though, if I did have the funds I'd snatch it up.

Back