gold wire pins, small gems

jkf96a

I have this crazy idea for a small fish shaped knife in feather damascus and MOP with gold wire pins. From what I can tell, 16 ga wire is slightly undersized to a 1/16 drill bit, and seems to be the size I want to use. Right?

Never worked with gold before (or MOP for that matter). What should I know before I order? I assume 10K is the cheapest, but will it work for peening *gently* on to MOP scales? Seems to be available in dead soft, hard, and half hard. Which should I look for?

Even if I do 8 pins, I won't need more than about 4 or 5 inches. Any place you could recommend where you don't have to buy a 5 ft roll or 10 grams or whatever?

Just because, I've also thought about a small gemstone for the "eyes" of the fish that this knife will be. I'm thinking red or purple, like garnet or something. Any recommendations there, for reddish/purplish gems, already cut, maybe 3/32 diameter at the most? Where would you even look for such a thing? I'd also have to figure out how to mount them, but one problem at a time.

Thanks for your help. I've got the MOP and the feather ready. Shooting to have this one on the table for the guild show next September, but am seriously starting to conceptualize and gather materials.

Back