Gold lip pearl serpintine jack

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I finished this today,another serpintine jack knife.
The only difference between this one and the last one is that this one has a bronze bushing and bronze anti scratch washers and gold lip pearl scales.
Pearl is really tough to photograph!

Beautiful knife Calvin. One question for you. When you finish the brass pins, do you need to not touch the MOP or can you touch up the MOP if it is scratched in the finishing process? I have two sets of scales but I'm afraid to use the for fear of screwing them up and wasting them. Way too expensive for that.
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Beautiful knife Calvin. One question for you. When you finish the brass pins, do you need to not touch the MOP or can you touch up the MOP if it is scratched in the finishing process? I have two sets of scales but I'm afraid to use the for fear of screwing them up and wasting them. Way too expensive for that.
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Jim,
After I pien all the pins I grind them down on my disk grinder at 400 grit until the pins disappear. Then I hand sand everything,bolsters,pins,pearl, using a steel sanding block to 1000 grit then I polish everything then I mask off the pearl and satin finish the bolsters and caps,I leave the pins in the pearl polished. By the way,those pins are stainless not brass.
Does that help?

Calvin, yes it does help a lot. It does not make me less afraid that I'll screw it up somehow. I take it the MOP can be sanded down and not hurt it. Just polish it and its good to go again. Does the color go all the way thru, to make this possible?
Thanks again for your help.

Calvin, yes it does help a lot. It does not make me less afraid that I'll screw it up somehow. I take it the MOP can be sanded down and not hurt it. Just polish it and its good to go again. Does the color go all the way thru, to make this possible?
Thanks again for your help.

The color does not necessarily go all the way through. What color pearl do you have?

Calvin, I have a pair black and a pair of white. I take it that you are very careful when you work close to it so as not to damage it.

Ok,the white is probably white all the way through,the black piece probably has some white on the back or may be all white on the back,look at the edges and you can see how the white may be closer to the black surface in some places than others.Take the black piece and hold it up with the black side facing you to a bright light, you will see light and dark areas,the light areas are where the white comes close to the black surface. This will give you some idea how deep the black goes. Thin the pearl down from the back to the thickness you want,and keep in mind that the more you take off the black surface when you are finishing it the lighter it will become in those places where you saw the light spots when you held it up to the light.
Is that as clear as mud?:biggrin:
Work the pearl with new belts and paper,don't get it hot. When drilling or counter boring use low speed and feed,sharp bits,don't force it and I use a mixture of water and Dawn detergent as a lubricant.
I hope this helps remove enough of your fear that you will use the stuff,if not send it to me.:biggrin:

Thanks Calvin, that does help a lot. One more question, would you send it back to me with a knife attached????
Just wondering.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
Yes Jim send me the pearl and a few extra dollars and I'll attach a knife to it for you.:biggrin:

Back