Gluing Micarta

J. Hoffman

Dealer - Purveyor
I got some 1/8" micarta scales (some maroon, some black) today. I've never worked with micarta and I now realize that 1/8" is much to thin for handles scales. My plan is to take maroon scales and glue them to the black scales so when I sand it down I get a two-color effect. What kind of adhesive do I used to glue the two types of micarta together? Do I need to lightly sand the micarta when I glue them together? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jess

While not gluing micarta to micarta, I have used super glue in the past to glue a colored spacer to my micarta handle material befor I put it on the knife.
This was used with corby rivits so I had a mechanical fastener as well so I wasnt as concerned with it delaminating.

I would think a 2 ton clear epoxy such as devcon wouold be OK, it dries clear and I woould suspect would make your joint more invisible.

Good Luck and God Bless
Mike

Sand it as rough as you can and remove all the dust. Stack and glue but don't clamp so hard you squeeze out the glue.

Epoxy holds micarta to a knife tang very well, so it ought to hold 2 layers of micarta very well. I like using a couple of rubber bands to keep steady but not excess pressure during cure.

Back