Glass Platen Radius Size?

Heikki

KNIFE MAKER
I'm getting ready to replace my glass platen for the first time. I think I have an idea of how I want to approach removing the old one (very carefully, using a torch) and want to make sure I've done any shaping of the new one before I start that process.

My question is on how much to radius the edges of the new one. What kind of minumum/maximum radii does everyone find useful? Pretty sure the first one I did was too much and inconsistent along the edges. I was thinking anywhere from 1/8" to 1/4", but thought I'd get some input before I commit.

I’m getting the impression no one does the sides to help with plunges. Maybe I need to reevaluate. Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I agree with the above... I do my plunges with no radius on my platen edges, makes it crisper imo

i-J2KzJ6S-X3.jpg

I’m getting the impression no one does the sides to help with plunges. Maybe I need to reevaluate. Thanks for the replies.
I just replaced my glass platen. On the old one I had about an 1/8" radius on the edges of the glass. That worked fine on 1/8" or thinner blades for plunges. On thicker blades, it was almost too much of a radius, so on my new glass I just barely put a radius on the edges. Maybe 1/16" or smaller.

I just replaced my glass platen. On the old one I had about an 1/8" radius on the edges of the glass. That worked fine on 1/8" or thinner blades for plunges. On thicker blades, it was almost too much of a radius, so on my new glass I just barely put a radius on the edges. Maybe 1/16" or smaller.
Assuming you are using a diamond wheel or stone to radius ceramic glass? I was wondering about making my own custom size glass platen. I have a large 10" wet tile saw, an MK101, so assume I could rip and crosscut ceramic glass with that. But to bevel the front and back I was thinking a diamond stone or wheel. I don't have a flat diamond wheel though.

Assuming you are using a diamond wheel or stone to radius ceramic glass? I was wondering about making my own custom size glass platen. I have a large 10" wet tile saw, an MK101, so assume I could rip and crosscut ceramic glass with that. But to bevel the front and back I was thinking a diamond stone or wheel. I don't have a flat diamond wheel though.

I used a 120 grit ceramic belt to radius the edges.

Back