Giveaways and "deal-spotting"

James Terrio

I'm thinking of doing a giveaway in the New Maker's forum. Any special rules to follow, or just the ones in the raffle FAQ?

What's the policy on deal-spotting? I occasionally get a head's-up on specials at a certain large industrial supply company. Is it ok to post that here if it's of interest to makers? (for instance, I just got a great price on sanding bands for my rotary tool). I don't work for them, I just know someone who does; the company doesn't have a forum or membership here.

Sorry to bother y'all, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I post something inappropriate. Thanks!

James, not a problem. Glad you are helping. Post up give-a-aways like a raffle. It's fine to post like of good deals on stuff we all could use as long as it doesn't become a spam looking issue which I'm sure it won't. 2thumbs

OK, thanks. What I was thinking was a piece of 1080, some wood, pins and a file. Nothin fancy but hey, might help someone out.

The deal-spotting thing is, I know a woman personally, who's a salesperson for MSC industrial supply. She likes knives too. I can't get her prices ( believe me I tried :D ) but they run specials all the time, sometimes on stuff we use. That would be all I'd mention. Like when guys say "hey use this coupon at HF" for instance. MSC generally carries much better stuff than Harbor Freight etc. The 3M sanding bands I just got are kickin' butt.

Well the giveaway is up and running. Hope I'm not irritating anyone by relentlessly mentioning it in intro threads and stuff :eek:

Thanks, Jeff. You'll notice SBurek jumped in to help with HT, that's REALLY cool. It made me smile real big when he pm'ed me asking if he could help; a team effort like this reinforces the "community spirit".

We even had a couple lurkers register so they could get in on it; I hope it helps the forum overall.

I feel GREAT about being able to do this, the materials are already paid for, so what the heck. It's the least I can do to pay back all the help I've been blessed with, not to mention the wicked cool skinner I recently won from K Willis.

Thank you, KnifeDogs.com!

Thanks, Jeff. You'll notice SBurek jumped in to help with HT, that's REALLY cool. It made me smile real big when he pm'ed me asking if he could help; a team effort like this reinforces the "community spirit".

We even had a couple lurkers register so they could get in on it; I hope it helps the forum overall.

I feel GREAT about being able to do this, the materials are already paid for, so what the heck. It's the least I can do to pay back all the help I've been blessed with, not to mention the wicked cool skinner I recently won from K Willis.

Thank you, KnifeDogs.com!

I will give a lanyard away. just let me know who wins. i will ship it to them...

Cool, thank you for your support! I'll leave it up to you if you want to announce that in the thread or let it be a surprise.

I know there's a chance this kit might go to someone who never uses it but *shrug* maybe the idea will give someone else a kick in the pants to go ahead and try. Either way it's fun.

James,I was lookin' for somethin' else and spotted this,
and just wanted to tell you,
"has anyone told you today,that you're all kinds of awesome?"
(as my daughter likes to say) :)
Very cool man,very cool,and Jeff,heck,you're right up there with the best of 'em too!
And,I am reminded that I need to buy one of your skulls!
(any word on the bronze idea?)

Back