Getting ivory

Mike, if you would take walrus ivory from alaska I could find some nice female tusk which is the best for scales due to its small tight core, or mamoth is easy to get, I lived in Alaska for some years and have connections to legal Ivory.

also the
Miombo-Mopane Woodlands and Grasslands, Okavango and the Sudd, but the sad truth is that Africa's wild areas do not add up to the amount in the US. Plus areas in places like Eastern Montana have huge areas with populations of less than 1 person per sq mile and are not even considered wilderness. Garfield county alone has almost 5000 sq miles and only 1200 people and 1/3 of those live in its one town. All the counties that surround it are about the same except the highly populated Custer county with almost 12,00 people crowded into its 3800sq mile area(10,000 of them live in one town)

Joke is from Conservation International's Wilderness: Earth's Last Wild Places definition of wilderness area the population needs to be under 5 per sq Km, eastern Montana falls under that per sq MILE. ( actually under 1 person per Sq mile in the vast majority) The entire state has a population density of about 2.5 per sq Km In the west portion there is the huge Bob Marshal wilderness area, the larger Montana/Idaho Bitteroot Selway and the Anaconda Pintlar area. Yellowstone is just a Joke tourist attraction.

I am just saying. Most people do not realize how much wild there is left right here in this country

Last edited:
I recently asked a maker if he would make me a pair of knives with elephant ivory handles and he said he would if he could find documented ivory for the project. I did not know at the time about the history of elephant ivory.

Anyhow, I still want elephant ivory handles and I'm wondering if there's a place I can get it myself to ship to a maker for a special set of knives?

I do of course want legally obtained ivory and don't know which suppliers might have it and what "proof" is necessary to make it legitimate.

Does anybody have knowledge on this topic they can share?

Not to wander far from my main question, but say it's not feasible to get elephant ivory, is there another natural ivory that is easier to get which is a white color?

Have you found what you are looking for. There is a thread that was started here;
http://www.knifedogs.com/showthread.php?t=6288

Hope you find what you are looking for.

Lets try and keep on the subject about sources for ivory for Mikeymoto.

Back