Gaelic Forge Knives and Claxe

gaelic forge

Looks like I stuck some pics of knives in the wrong place...apologies to admin folks. The knife with sheath is example of sheath work...knife not mine and apppeared to be made of file with Whitetail antler handle with a simple brass guard silver soldered in place.

Pic of three drop edge knives with three different laminated wood handles.

Pic of large (for me) tactical knife with integral guard and black canvas micarta handle.

Pic of unique chopping tool to this shop I call a Claxe....elements of a hand axe and cleaver.

All steel is L-6 sawblade steel and ranges from 1/8 to 3/16 inch in thickness. Occasionally I will use crosscut saw blades for neck knives and concrete cutting round blades for smaller knives due to thickness issues. The L-6 is cut via a torch, cleaned up on stone grinder and then finished on a Grizzly grinder, which will be mercifully replaced asap with a NWG! Not satisfied with the grind lines using the Griz, although I suspect a good measure of operator error here too! This time next year I believe grind lines will be where they need to be and the blades will see much better execution. Elements of neo-tribal and blade design influenced by stone tools. Tactical is, well, just a tactical drop point. Meh, no imagination there, but functional. Evaluations and criticisms welcome!

100_0789.jpg

100_0694350x263-1.jpg

100_0689640x480.jpg

100_0794.jpg

Good work GF, like the lines and wood on handles. Nothing wrong with those grinds- they will be very durable.

Thanks for the kind words. Everyone keep in mind that I don' make art knives. I respect that sort of work a great deal and it definitely has its place in the knife world, but it is not something I do at this point. Almost all my customers want something very practical and rugged which will last and don't want to spend a lot of money, hence the integral guards and the drop edge designs. The steel is very close to 15N20 as it is L-6 found in round sawblades. If there is ANYONE that knows of a source of 1/8 to 3/16 inch 15N20 I would REALLY like to know. I can't find the Uddeholm steel very large lumber mill bandsaw blades anymore and have resorted to the round blades. IMHO the Uddeholm steel from Sweden is some of the best....tough and resilient, sort of like Scots-Irish folk!

3rd pic 3rd knife im diggen the profile, steel just grab some good old 1084/1080 if your cooking at home. good job.

here's one thats real close to your last one this was made with a 1x30 belt grinder and files.
I used file guide to get plunge lines started at 45 degree till i met my center lines, then went to draw filing till i was tired of it then went to the 1x30. hand sanded to 400 grit. you deffenitly going in the right deriction keep at it there looking really good. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mya-knives/220414877975033 this is my face book page i have some wips and if you need any help give me a yell

Attachments

• 100_3144.jpg
    100_3144.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back