frustration in forge welding!

seanmichaelz

Have been hammerin blades out now for a couple of months, though new to smithin' wanted to try my hand at forging a layered/damascus billet. Multiple attempts have left me questioning where I am making my mistake? Borax too much, not enough. Am I at forge weld Temp. even though I have the steel coming out almost sparking, To no avail the material wont forge together. So if there is one of you fellas out there could help out a newbie it would certainly go a long way for my sanity and shops' walls... Winters coming!

I'm sure there's a lot of folks, including myself who are anxious to help, but we're gona need more information.....steel types, where you're having difficulty......things that we can help narrow down for you.

I haven't even got a real good handle on forge welding A36 yet when attempting it for other smithing projects, so I want be any help, but am hoping to see some good info on this thread. As with many things, youtube can be of some help, if you pick and choose the source : ) . I found the videos on forge welding by theironworkshop (I like most of his stuff) to be pretty good. They are from a blacksmithing point of view rather than blade smithing, but I think the theory still applies.

Eddie...I'm not sure anyone has a good handle on forge welding A36...since it often contains any number of alloys, it's something that can be easy to forge weld or impossible. Try forge welding some 1080 & 15n20 together, and it will seem like a dream compared to A36.

Ed Caffrey
"The Montana Bladesmith"
Sent with TapaTalk

Back