friction folder questions

Has anyone ever put a spring loaded detent ball in a frickie (friction folder)?
How on earth do you keep these from opening in you pocket or pack?

I love the look but don't understand the concept of this type of mechanism.

just askin

Steve

I don't now about a detent ball but I saw a really cool one on you tube were the guy added
A pin like one for a ball hitch with the ring on it. So it looked like the pin on a grenade :0
I will post a link if I can find it again. That way you could lock in open or closed position.

Has anyone ever put a spring loaded detent ball in a frickie (friction folder)?
I have - in fact, I have put the detent in for open, half stop and closed positions - and although it is a lot more work than a standard friction folder, it works well. If I am not mistaken Boker also makes a model where they use the three detent system. And CRKT makes another variation that works on a similar principle. Using the detent system/s makes it possible to either use a very short tang (for a frickie that is :D) or, if coupled to a good choil, to do away with the elongated tang completely. For the "traditional" or "standard" friction folder thought, most guys will either wear them in a pouch on the belt or with a pocket clip - the traditional or original design is not really pocket friendly, even with a shorter tang.
Another thing I do on the more traditional designs and where there is no detent system, is to make the rear spacer very slightly thinner than the blade - this causes the blade to be pinched slightly in both the open and closed positions and helps hold it in position.

Back