Forged vs Stock removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, not at all. We spit theoretical hairs in every other facet of knifemaking, don't we?

It's true though,... larger pores aren't good. Minimizing gas pockets (or porosity) and inclusions are plusses as well as improved "grain flow".

Splitting hairs R us (no pun intended). :)

.. It has absolutely nothing to do with being "cool". It's pure science. ;)

Last edited:
If you look at my illustration under the “profile“ part,… what generally happens with many of the stock reduction blades is that they tend to chip out easier and/or be more jagged along the edge as sharpened or etched along the point end where the grain flow has been cut across. This is especially noticeable when trying to do things like "splitting hairs" with a surgically honed blade.

If you look at the illustration under “cross section“, what happens is, if you have an inclusion along the edge, or the center line of where the edge will be, it’s negative effects can be minimized through forging, or essentially “squeezing” the steel down to the edge… rather than removing stock and leaving the inclusion thicker, more exposed, as rolled. There is the additional strength from just having the grain flow match the bevel angle... no telling what kind of odd stresses, strains and/or shocks the blade may or may not go through in actual usage.

Last edited:
Since I just learned to color inside the lines I decided to get rid of everything outside the lines. It makes things easier for me. Easy = good.
I do own a hammer though...but it's just for show...and the wife to use...when she's done with the laundry...and brought me a drink....and mowed the yard.

Thank god my wife doesnt read these posts.

No one needs to apologize or justify to the masses what they believe and/or practice, if it works, but,… if making the “best” blade "theoretically" possible is part of it, then you really need to take a closer look at forging,.. scientifically.

Last edited:
If you look at my illustration under the “profile“ part,… what generally happens with many of the stock reduction blades is that they tend to chip out easier and/or be more jagged along the edge as sharpened or etched along the point end where the grain flow has been cut across. This is especially noticeable when trying to do things like "splitting hairs" with a surgically honed blade.

If you look at the illustration under “cross section“, what happens is, if you have an inclusion along the edge, or the center line of where the edge will be, it’s negative effects can be minimized through forging, or essentially “squeezing” the steel down to the edge… rather than removing stock and leaving the inclusion thicker, more exposed, as rolled. Plus, there is the additional strength from just having the grain flow match the bevel angle... no telling what kind of odd stresses, strains and/or shocks the blade may or may not go through in actual usage.

Tai,
After making, selling and sharpening those inferior stock reduction knives and forged knives for about 16 years I notice that they will chip where they have been abused by hitting bone and other things that will chip any knife, ether Forged or stock removal.

The steels used in stock reduction is not cast, it is Hot rolled just like the steels used in forging are.

You statements may hold true on a much larger and load bearing forged item like a aircraft landing assembly for example? but I doubt it has any significant or measurable effect on a simple knife even with distal tapering and all the other angles and curves we add in by hammer or grinder.

Also this Squeezing thing, Is saying that you can tighten the matrix of the steel itself by beating it with a hammer? You can't make the atoms any tighter than they are by beating it!

I respect your knives and knowledge and have learned alot about some aspects of knife making from you.

I just feel that you are really splitting hairs here!

Cheers.
Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

If you look at the illustration under “cross section“, what happens is, if you have an inclusion along the edge, or the center line of where the edge will be, it’s negative effects can be minimized through forging, or essentially “squeezing” the steel down to the edge… rather than removing stock and leaving the inclusion thicker, more exposed, as rolled. There is the additional strength from just having the grain flow match the bevel angle... no telling what kind of odd stresses, strains and/or shocks the blade may or may not go through in actual usage.

This thread has now reached the point of being the epitomy of absurdity.

Last edited:
I'm sorry?...

It's just very basic metallurgy... nothing new, profound or absurd at all.

Was fun while it lasted. Lots of good info. But. Im gona pull the plug on this one B4 it goes any further south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back