Forged trailing point hunter

J. Doyle

Dealer - Purveyor
This is another commissioned piece that will be under the Christmas tree. A lady ordered this for her husband. He said he was looking for a trailing point that had no guard. The rest was up to me. :) He doesn't know she had one custom made for him.

Specs:

Forged from 1075 steel, clay quenched
8 1/4" overall, 3 3/8" of actual cutting edge, .200" thick at the ricasso with nice distal taper forged in
The blade is 1 1/6" tall at it's tallest, from spine to heel of the blade
Bronze collars, file fullered
Blued and coin edged spacer
Stabilized box elder burl handle. This is all natural with no dye. I love the colors on this, especially the red line that wraps around the butt end.
File fullered butt end.

Trailingpoint1.jpg

Trailingpoint2.jpg

Trailingpoint3.jpg

Trailingpoint4.jpg

Trailingpoint5.jpg

Trailingpoint6.jpg

Superb looking knife and the quality is fantastic! I think that's the crispest looking fit around the bolster i've ever seen! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by trailing point though? Knife terminology isn't my strong point i guess.

I really like that bronze collar, the fit and finish is superb.
I just came in from working on a bronze guard for a little hunter, thought the fit was good.
Maybe on the next one, or the one after that.
That's what I like about this, if you're not satisfied with the one you just finished, you can do another one.

I'm not usually a fan of trailing point hunters, but I could make an exception for this... everything about this one is well designed and well executed, and that is some lovely timber too. well done sir.

That is droolishious. I love that wood! Absolutely great flow to the handle, and an overall winner in my book! Great job John...but I bet you hear that all the time.

I LIKE IT! The point is trailing but not too much,the wood is beautiful and the,the collar and spacer expertly done,fit and finish,perfect.

Thank you guys for the kind words. I appreciate the feedback.

Superb looking knife and the quality is fantastic! I think that's the crispest looking fit around the bolster i've ever seen! I'm not exactly sure what you mean by trailing point though? Knife terminology isn't my strong point i guess.

A 'trailing' point just means upswept or curved up at the tip. I don't really know why they chose the word 'trailing' to describe it.........but that's what it means. :)

I really like that bronze collar, the fit and finish is superb.
I just came in from working on a bronze guard for a little hunter, thought the fit was good.
Maybe on the next one, or the one after that.
That's what I like about this, if you're not satisfied with the one you just finished, you can do another one.

Absolutely right Mark! That is what is so fun. I've had knives that had something that I didn't like...............but it was still the best I could do at the time. I seldom go back to those knives. I just learn from my mistakes (or try to :) ) and do better on the next one. It's really fun for me to learn something, even from a mistake, and rush to try to do better on the next one. It's very addictive.

Thanks again all for the comments.

Good looking knife John.
A lot of little things have come together to make this a really good looking knife.
You seem to have a good eye for what works.

Back