Follow along slipjoint project!!

Next I reamed the bolsters getting ready to pin the blade in place…. I cleaned all holes and rod with dawn and soapy water and then acetone so I wouldn’t have any oil in the holes , hopefully I won’t get a ring around my pin. IMG_3874.jpegIMG_3875.jpegIMG_3876.jpegIMG_3879.jpegNo ring !!

I put a satin finish on everything except the stag and shield , I polished them. This is how I make a slipjoint !! I hope you guys have enjoyed following along !!

Don’t stop now! Great WIP. I hope you will do more. What size pins do you use. Also have you always had a zero dial indicator? Have you done one without it?
Thanks again for an informative post.

Don’t stop now! Great WIP. I hope you will do more. What size pins do you use. Also have you always had a zero dial indicator? Have you done one without it?
I just made that rise/fall indicator a couple weeks ago and have a love hate relationship with it, it’s just dabbed together with stuff I had laying around so I end up fighting with the accuracy but it gets it pretty darn good. Before I made it I used the line method , where I would take a small piece of wood and drill and pin the spring and blade onto it then when I would get the blade set where I wanted it I would take a mechanical pencil and draw a line across the spring with the blade in the open position. Then I would adjust the half stop and closed positions in accordance to the line …. It gets it pretty close but the rise fall indicator even with my scabbed together one does a better job.

And the pin size I use for most stuff is 3/32 and shields I like 1/16” pin, although I have some 1/8” as well but generally 3/32

Back