Folding Knife Blade to Fixed...

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
...anyone ever try this?

I bought a huge lot of factory-made folder blades. The price was right, and I know I may never use them. Has anyone ever taken a folder blade and tried to weld or affix a piece of steel to the blade to make a handle?

...anyone ever try this?

I bought a huge lot of factory-made folder blades. The price was right, and I know I may never use them. Has anyone ever taken a folder blade and tried to weld or affix a piece of steel to the blade to make a handle?
I have not but there are some folders that have an awesome profile. I’ve thought about using the profile to make fix blades with some modifications.

A long time ago, I remember seeing something on the interweb about this topic. More than 10 years ago, probably. I looked and cannot find it. But, the builder put on a guard and then pinned an extension to the blade that created the handle or went into the handle. I know that does not help you much and I hope you can understand what I am attempting to describe. I would be interested in seeing the blade and perhaps I can explain it a bit better.

I looked again. If you google "converting a folding blade into a fixed blade knife" several articles come up. The one I remember used some sort of bicycle chain or industrial chain as the tang after putting on a guard. I cannot find that particular one.

A long time ago, I remember seeing something on the interweb about this topic. More than 10 years ago, probably. I looked and cannot find it. But, the builder put on a guard and then pinned an extension to the blade that created the handle or went into the handle. I know that does not help you much and I hope you can understand what I am attempting to describe. I would be interested in seeing the blade and perhaps I can explain it a bit better.

I have many different blades. It was a lot of 144 blades.

Would anyone be interested in attempting this with me?

I'll mail a few out if some of you might like to try...

This is a picture of the blade types. Many of each style. Some are too small for a fixed blade conversion. Most are Shrade factory leftovers, and all are made in the USA. Wish I could make folders...

20231107_155410.jpg

By trying to make a folding knife into a fixed blade you lose the specific purpose (ease of carry) of a folder and lose the specific purpose (strength) of a fixed blade, as you already know. Personally, I wouldn't make them into fixed blades unless they were to be whittlers or something along those lines. I like the clip points on the top left! Try a slipjoint, they really aren't that hard to get them to work, even if they can be difficult to get exactly right.

I would do some metal "legs" from the tang area?
folder to fixed.jpg
Red box would be the same thickness as the tang area; grind the back of the tang flat to butt up against the metal bar, or better yet, grind the metal bar fit completely around the tang of the blade. Blue box would be some steel legs that could be maybe pinned/peined (or screwed) through the pivot hole to make a 3 layer tang. You could weld up the end of the tang w/o overheating the blade to make the 3 pieces like 1. If you make the butt of the blade tang mate tightly to the red piece, it would be pretty solid. You may also be able to use some JB weld in there to fill in any gaps and help with the adhesion, but welding the back end of the tang may weaken it too much, so I would just use JB weld to attach the blue bars to the red middle bar.folder to fixed2.jpg

Back