Folders: Slipjoint vs. Tactical

You bring up some valid points. I am referring to 'trends.' For example, when Emerson and Benchmade came out with their renditions of the CQC7 and the 970SBT the entire industry felt the ramifications.

Now I admit, any one of the items you have enumerated could catch fire in the public consciousness and be "the next big thing." However, if you thumb through the latest press releases the biggest story now is that Paul Bos retired.

If I had to offer an opinion, I believe the next hot item will be the "American Sushi knife." (One cutler here already offered his product.) That is, a quality knife with both USA and Nippon credentials.

Here's why I believe that. Japanese steel is the rage, but people are eager to buy American. Given this safe haven, I think it will sell.

Edit: Here's an example of a knife with those overall lines:

http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/SajiTS-135.html

Now compare that general idea to Sam Eddleman's "El Diablo's Toothpick."

Last edited by a moderator:
Sean good question. I think there's a middle ground.
Using modern materials for slipjoints is natural progression. As is traditional patterns being made into linerlocks doesn't make it tactical just an updated locking version of a classic pattern.
I think every era adds their own touches with improved technology.
mitch

Hi Tourist:

If I had to offer an opinion, I believe the next hot item will be the "American Sushi knife."

I'd love to see your "research" that will back this statement.

Why will this be the next hot item?

Last edited:
Les, glad to have someone with your knowledge of the market chime in. What is the current market for slipjoints in realtion to other types of folders (i.e. liner and frame locks)? Thanks

Sean

I'd love to see your "research" that will back this statement.

Why will this be the next hot item?

It derives from the same old standard we all use--sales of new products. One retaurant after another is buying 'Japanese style' knives. Yes, some are actually made in Japan, but in a world economy the parts for most products come from just about anywhere.

If you can somehow tie any aspect to the red, white and blue, you stand a better chance in this economy to actually sell it, even if your label only says, "Assembled in the USA."

This also works to the detriment of some companies. Lots of folks will not buy any product made in China or stamped "ROC." Aside from the political fall-out, the general sense is that a current Chinese product is cheap or shoddy. Oddly, much of the steel used in Chinese products is actually purchased from Japan, a leader in quality steel.

Some Japanese knives already are sold with "western handles." However the first cutlery company to market a "Good Ol' Texas Gyuto" packed in a box trimmed with spurs or Sam Houston's likeness will most likely clean up!

Or do you think that Taco Bell is actually Mexican food?

Back