flipping wet wheel

malignity

I have an old hand crank wet wheel that I picked up at an estate sale that worked really well, but since I didn't have a jig, decided I needed both hands on the knife when working the edge.

Long story short, the motor I have is a 1/2 horsepower 1750rpm (picked it up at a garage sale for a buck!), and I hooked it up, and once the motor gets up to speed, the entire unit shakes incredibly bad. No way I'd be able to form an edge on this thing.

I don't know if my wheel is out of round causing wobble, if the shaft of the motor is bent, or what. When I was hand cranking I never noticed an issue. 1750rpm is probably way too quick for a wet wheel, but I can slow it down via pulleys.

If I can't get it to work, maybe I'll use the motor for a homemade 2x72 slack belt sander. One way or another, I need a better way to do my grinds. My 4x36 sander doesn't work very well because the sanding edges don't go directly to the edge of the table, so there's no way for me to create very distinct grind lines.

I'm not sure how to tell what the wobble is coming from. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Not sure what your hand-cranked wet wheel looks like, but what you don't want to do is THIS. Over-speed on a wheel meant for low RPMs is no joke... as Sammer found out back in '09.
Erin

Last edited:
Whoa!! No kidding. Thanks for the warning. Knowing my luck, I'd be toast.

It's a really small wheel, probably 6-8" diameter. Would be nice to add a pedal at least and just go slow. I just want both hands free when working. Either that or I guess I'll stick with my sander though not ideal.

Back