Flat grinding issues

Chall

I use one of Fred's Bubble Jigs to do my flat grinds. Can anyone tell me why the grind is higher on the second side when I use the same angle? Driving me crazy. Thanks for any advice.

Chall,

If the ricasso is the same thickness top and bottom then you should have little problem with the height of the grind lines.

If the edge is centered on the blade the grinds should end up at the same place. Thats how it should work theoretically.;)

But in the real world it doesn't always work as theory says it should.

When I grind a blade the main visual control is the height of the grind on one side of the blade compared to the one on the other side. If one line gets a bit higher than the other one I focus on the lower grind line until it becomes equal to the other grind line. I may even "cheat" the bubble towards one of the reference lines in the vial to adjust the grind.
Keep in mind that the bubble is only a point of reference and may need tweaked to get the grind right.

I have had this conversation with other people who grind with the BJ and the consensus has to do with the different pressures we exert; left side of body compared to the right side. The different way the bubble itself is viewed from the left side grind compared to the right side grind.

The clamp is machine ground and the Bubble Jig is always oriented the same when attached to the clamp so there is no way the bubble itself is in error.

Give me a call 866-325-2164 and lets put our heads together and see what happens.

Regards, Fred

Thanks Fred....I know the Bubble Jig is not the problem...I only mentioned it to emphasize that the problem is me, not the equipment. I believe the bubble jig is the only reason that I am as accurate as I am.

The problem may be pressure exerted. I am also using a jig I built that keeps the angle consistent and I thought that would solve all of my problems. The jig is heavy though, and it may be the problem...exerting more pressure that I realize. I would like to stop my grinds about 1" up on a 1.5" wide blade and just don't seem to be able to do it. I consistently let it creep to the top and end up with a complete flat grind. It's ok but not what I intended.

I will call you this weekend and see if we can talk it through. I really appreciate it.

Chuck

Thanks Fred....I know the Bubble Jig is not the problem...I only mentioned it to emphasize that the problem is me, not the equipment. I believe the bubble jig is the only reason that I am as accurate as I am.

The problem may be pressure exerted. I am also using a jig I built that keeps the angle consistent and I thought that would solve all of my problems. The jig is heavy though, and it may be the problem...exerting more pressure that I realize. I would like to stop my grinds about 1" up on a 1.5" wide blade and just don't seem to be able to do it. I consistently let it creep to the top and end up with a complete flat grind. It's ok but not what I intended.

I will call you this weekend and see if we can talk it through. I really appreciate it.

Chuck

I'll be in the shop most of the day and look forward to talking with you, Fred

"When I grind a blade the main visual control is the height of the grind on one side of the blade compared to the one on the other side. If one line gets a bit higher than the other one I focus on the lower grind line until it becomes equal to the other grind line. I may even "cheat" the bubble towards one of the reference lines in the vial to adjust the grind.
Keep in mind that the bubble is only a point of reference and may need tweaked to get the grind right."

I concur with the Fredster on this statement.

I recently Purchased one of these from Fred myself. I find the Jig to be a solid piece of Hardware to keep the Ricassio plunge lines clean & Sharp.

As far as the Bubble is concerned, I've only used it a couple of times.
Its a reference point,
The touch and feel of what's going on has to be developed by you the Maker! I know you didn't want to hear that!:les:

There are no quick fixes! If you add a Human you get Human engineering! :biggrin:
Fred has much more experience with the bubble jig of course!

What I can offer is that there is a process I go thru while grinding with my left hand, That other side!!:what!:
I tell myself I've switched over and to concentrate on the muscles and tension that I have learned through the years of knife making are necessary to get a flat even & Consistent grind from the plunge to the tip.

This will take some burnt fingers and steel! From the book by departed Mr. Bob Loveless.
" Sleeping in a garage, Won't make you a mechanic" So get out there and grind!

Every maker has a box of no goods! No one see's this one! Learn from 'em
So I wish you the best and keep us posted!

Laurence
www.rhinoknives.com

to help me even up my grinds I always tend to want to start on my weak side (left) hand first, I found it easier for me to match up my grinds with my strong side..

keep us posted on what you guys figure out..

Back