Flare Lanyard Hole on contoured handle

DTBrodt

Hey everyone,

So I am sure this topic has been covered before, and I have tried to find help via Google but came up short every time. So, how I typical flare a lanyard hole is by countersinking the handle material, cutting two screw heads of similar diameter from the threads, place them in the inner diameter of the tubing, and then squeeze it in a vise. This technique has worked for me every time, but now that I have started making contoured/coke bottle shaped handles I am in a predicament as how to do this. I appreciate and input and if you guys have pictures of your process I would love to see them. Thank you all very much.

You could take a steel punch, like 1/4" diameter maybe...and cut the end of it off so it's shorter than grind it into a cone shape and use it as a flaring tool. you go around the tube by hand with a small ball peen hammer and light blows. You can tilt the punch to whatever angle you need to match the angle of the tube.

Mr. Doyle,
Thank you for your input. That is actually a very good idea, and I will have to try that. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Back