Fitting Bolsters?

scherar

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on how some of you get your bolsters prepped before attaching. By this I mean lining up and drilling the holes. The method I use now is:
-I typically make my bolsters 1/2" in width. I will cut two 1/2" strips, super glue them together, hog them even on both sides (front & rear sections) and then work the grits up (on front side) to the desired grit.
-Once I get them to that stage, I will glue them (super glue) to the knife aligning the holes to the middle of the blosters (the bolsters are still stacked together). I then drill the holes through the blade into the bolster material.

The problem that I am having is that the glue doesn't always hold on the blade, sometimes the bolsters don't remain glued together (stacked) and they usually come apart when I am drilling them. This poses a problem of trying to realign everything after I have started drilling. I have run into the problem of the holes not matching up perfectly in the long run.

I have found that super gluing things works some of the time, but not always. I would like to clamp them on, but don't have any idea how to do it when working with small things like bolsters.

I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks

I drill my holes before I do any shaping. I'll take one side and clamp it to the blade, then drill. After that, I'll pull the blade out of the equation and clamp the other piece of stock to the piece that has been drilled and use those holes to drill the second piece. At this point, I'll bring the blade back in and put in some alignment pins on one of the bolsters. From there, I'll trace out the tang, then remove the bolster and grind it close to final shape/size. Once I have one pretty close, I'll get the other bolster and pin them with the alignment pins and shape them both down to match. Basically, you can solve your problem by leaving the stock oversized so you have something to clamp to.

I also use super glue just a little different.Cut bolsters oversize and flatten the insides,position one on blade with a couple of drops of CA,drill through blade and bolster from the blade side,attach the second bolster with CA and drill back through from the other side,whack them on the vice and they fall off,place the bolsters together with a couple of sacrificial pins and grind close to shape, finish the fronts of the bolsters,attach to knife and finish out.
Stan

I flatten my blade on the platen first, then I flatten to inside of the bolster. You can do this on a disc grinder or granite slab. Then, I drill 3 holes in a triangle patten in the tang for my pins. I then countersink the holes just enough to remove any burr. Then I clamp one side of the bolster to the tang and drill my three holes in the bolster using the tang holes as a guide. Then I put my 3 pins in the bolster and tang for that side. Then I take the other side of the bolster and clamp all three pieces together. I take out one pin and drill through all three pieces using the holes that I already drilled as a guide. Then I replace that pin and push it through all three peices. Repeat that step for the 2 remaining pins. Then I grind of the excess from the top and bottom while I have it on the blade. Then I take the bolsters off the blade and clamp them to each other with all the pins in place to keep everything aligned. Then, I grind the rear of the bolster flat. Then, I profile the front of the bolsters. You can dovetail them now if you want. Then I make sure it all fits back on the blade again. Then, I take them off and finish the front to the desired finish. Then, I go back and taper the tang on my blade and heat treat it. After I have ground and finished the blade. I take the bolster and use a tapered reamer and ream the hole from the outside of the bolster. Don't go all the way through. Stop about 1/8" to 1/16" from the inner side. Then, take your bolsters and pins and attach the bolsters. The fit will get tight as you push everything together. I tap it together with a hard rubber hammer and give it a little squeeze in the vise to make it all flush. You want about an 1/8" of pin sticking out on each side. Then, and this is key, use a 3lb sledge hammer to pound them on. This will ensure your pins expand. Hit them all at once. Don't hit the edge of the bolster, especially the front edge or you will be screwed. At first you want to hit it a few times on one side then, flip it over and do the other side. Make sure your bolsters are staying flat against the tang. When it is snug, pound it till the pins are mushroomed and nearly flat.

-John

Back