First slip joint

I have some of my wife’s great grandfather slip joints so it can’t be the design.

I like the design of your slipjoint. Keep updating this thread as you progress. With your skill level and attention to detail I don't think you'll have a problem.

One of my early slipjoints I gave to my brother who carries it every day in his pocket, no pouch or anything, just loose in pocket with whatever else happens to be in pocket, keys, changes, etc. He's a retired farmer and is not easy on equipment so I know he's put it hard use. Every few years I ask how it's holding up. Are the mammoth ivory scales still good, blade, etc? It's been 8 to 10 yrs now and he still saying the scales are right, blades in good shape - stays sharp he says.

Paul, if I can do it, you won't have any problem.

I like the design of your slipjoint. Keep updating this thread as you progress. With your skill level and attention to detail I don't think you'll have a problem.

One of my early slipjoints I gave to my brother who carries it every day in his pocket, no pouch or anything, just loose in pocket with whatever else happens to be in pocket, keys, changes, etc. He's a retired farmer and is not easy on equipment so I know he's put it hard use. Every few years I ask how it's holding up. Are the mammoth ivory scales still good, blade, etc? It's been 8 to 10 yrs now and he still saying the scales are right, blades in good shape - stays sharp he says.

Paul, if I can do it, you won't have any problem.
I appreciate the vote of confidence. I’ll post some more picks tomorrow. The initial pinning and action seems to be satisfactory. I think I will scrap these liners and go with heavier brass tomorrow.

What where the issues?
Mostly the locks did not hold up. In the beginning, the thing would lock up solid, then after a few months, less and less. I am sure it has to do with the parts not being precise enough. Or maybe even the "spring" since I did not have a HT oven at the time everything was done old school. I did everything with basic hand tools. Now, I can make a friction folder that lasts through the ages just fine, but that is a different animal.

"the thing would lock up solid, then after a few months, less and less. "
You're talking about a slipjoint? OR a linerlock?

Ok. I replaced the brass liners with thicker stock. Got it assembled but forgot to take in progress photos. I’ll post the unclamping tomorrow. I have much to learn about these slip joint. I think I have my blade/handle proportions all wrong. My next one will definitely be more proportional. The action seems satisfactory.
After gluing up so many three piece knives I had to really think about getting it together.
I’m looking forward to the peening pins and handle finishing tomorrow.

Following, I semi built one. I copied the blade and replaced it in a cheap lock blade. Learned a bunch. Have not done one from scratch though. I'm mostly concerned about hardware it's really expensive and there's a lot of it!! I don't know what to use!!

Following, I semi built one. I copied the blade and replaced it in a cheap lock blade. Learned a bunch. Have not done one from scratch though. I'm mostly concerned about hardware it's really expensive and there's a lot of it!! I don't know what to use!!
For slip joints it’s not a lot of hardware. Blade, spring and anywhere from 3 to 6 or more pins for simple slip joints. My next slip joint is going to be smaller with soldered brass bolsters.
I’m also going to make a small plywood square to help hold and align the pins.
I can see where there are addictive.

Ok. Went to the shop first thing to unclamp the glue up and rough sanded the handle. These are my observations.
1. Closed - looks pretty good
2. Open - the proportions are off. The blade is to small - needed to be longer and fuller.
3. Brass liners are too thick
4. Handle material is too thick.
5. Operation is stiff. It needs reduce spring tension.
6. It’s too heavy.
All lessons learned.
IMG_5685.jpegIMG_5686.jpegIMG_5687.jpegIMG_5688.jpeg

Is the action still due to backspring too strong? OR, perhaps pin peened too much? Agreed, liners look a tad on the thick side - what thickness are they? Still, all in all - good job

Is the action still due to backspring too strong? OR, perhaps pin peened too much? Agreed, liners look a tad on the thick side - what thickness are they? Still, all in all - good job
I should have relieved the spring a little more. It’s not the peening. I had thought I had it right but it’s difficult to set up and try it out. Maybe there is a jig for that operation.

Back