first oven straightening trial.

SHOKR

hey guys

this is my first oven straightening trial
blade is 5155, after heat treat.

i assembled it to angle iron in oven with clamps (no shims)
put it in oven with intent to leave at 200 C. it went up to aprox 250C, left for two hours

thats what i got in the end
20131211_145553.jpg
the blade was still warped and it got lightly blued

emmm how bad is that? try again with shims?

Try using a big file (a really big file) and some various coins as shims. Over flex it some (by "some" I mean you just have to do it by "feel"). It may take time or two but the method really does work. I make kitchen knives which are really very thin so they warp a lot (even more than your blade did). I have to straighten almost all of the blades that I make. It does take some practice but it works. Good luck. Nicholas Jasper

thanks Nicholas

thing is im not sure if i ruined the temper (or lowered the RC)

and i did use a fixture, the angle iron

If you originally tempered at 200 c. and your oven went to 250 c. in your straightening process, yes, you lost a few points in hardness.

Thanks!

I dont know the temp the HTer used, but i guess i did lower the hardness yes :/

Well, you got me curious so I went looking online. I'm not suggesting this is correct....

5155.JPG

Where I was going with this was trying to figure out what temp the HTer likely used for tempering - and if you didn't exceed that, you would not likely have harmed the temper. I didn't get my answer. :-(

Thanks

My HTer was very vague bout that steel
He says its inferior (but he's not so good anyway, but i cant find another (long story))

So he said it doeant reach high RC, which i know for a fact to be untrue

Anyway i will try one more time then see if i can measure the hardness and see. Only problem is i didnt know the after HT hardness, but if i get high 50s im good either way

If your straightening temp never exceeds your temper temp, there will be no significant change in hardness.

Thanks
Thing is i dont know the temp. The HTer uses
He's not the coopperative type... So i think it will be trial and error process till i get it right and/or get my HT oven :)

Thanks again

Back