First knife

FRANK C

Hello every one, I just got my 1084 steel knife kit from USA knifes I have finished cutting the stock to shape now what are the next steps that I take. Thanks for any help. By the way I am from Louisiana and I work for the USDA , I have been
making leather knife cases for over a year now and want to start making my own knifes.

Last edited:
Depending on the tools you have as to method. Drill any holes you need to attach your handle or guard first. You need to create your bevels, file, grind, or sand them keeping the edge in the center of the profile line. Take it down to the thickness of a nickel. Sand out as many scratches as you can by sanding the blade long ways. Now it needs to be heat treated. If you do it yourself you will need to get the blade to non magnetic temperature, quench it in oil, then temper it. After this sand the knife to remove scale and thin the bevels till the edge is as thick as a dime. Attach your handle. Finish the handle and sharpen the blade. That basically is what you need to do.

Last edited:
Welcome to the pack, Frank. Go to the wip and tutorial section, there should be enough info there to get you through making your first knife. Ask questions when you're stumped and i'm sure someone will help. Post pics when you finish the knife, we love pictures. Good luck

Pics! Pics! Pics! I think that's a rule here, you have to post pics, material pics, progress pics, tool pics, finished pics, etc. Good luck!

Back