first knife WIP.

Cameron Wilcox

DSC_0297.jpg
so far I only have a 6" bench grinder, and some metal files.
this is just a rough cut and I am going to clean up the edges tomorrow morning and post more pics of it with more detail.

any suggestions of different angles for pics?

Profile looks good.Mark the center of your blade,clamp the blade to a board
and start drawfiling.You will be surprised at how fast the material will come off.
Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Todays progress.

here are some pics of what I have been using to shape this knife.DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0305.jpg

and this is some more detailed pics of the blade so far.

my attempts at the plunge lines ended up pretty sloppy. any suggestions on how i could clean them up?
DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

these are some more pictures of the blade and a shot with a ruler for size refrence

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

On the plunge line, its hard to tell from the picture how deep it went, but if its slight, just drawfile from the plungeline back to the butt of the tang so its flat.

I'm feeling it brother, files and paperwork are tough!

Hey Bubba,for your grinds just forget the bench grinder.Take your file and where you have your plunges
started,lay that file in the same spot,hold at just enough angle to bring your plung lines about 3/4 the way
to the spine.File just enough to get a good plung line,and do both sides the same.Then you want to take
that middle file,which looks like a good @@@@@@@ file.Clamp your blade,with the point facing you and hold
your file with 2 hands,one hand on the handle and the other hand on the end of the file.You want to lay
the file next to your plung,and pull the file toward you,you will be supprised at how much material will be
removed.
May not be the best way to explain,but I hope this helps.
Good luck

God bless,Keith

My first suggestion would be to unplug that little grinder and put it away. It's dangerous and will ruin that steel faster than you can buy more. Follow Keiths direction on the draw filing and it should work out fine.

Steve

I had only used the grinder for the rough shaping of the handle and belly of the blade. cleaned the grind up with a file then started on the grind and plunge line.
I am working on cleaning up the plunge line the way you suggested

Its ready for HT now.
I drilled out the handle to help balance it out better once the handles are on.and two of the holes are marked for the pin but it didn't show very well which ones.

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

I am ordering belts for a 2x42 I bought the other day and should have them by the time the knife comes back.

Looks like your doing great!!If it were me I would take a little more time and make my bevels a little wider.
Just draw file the way you have been doing,but hold your file at a little less angle to bring the flats a
little closer to the spine.If you have some chalk,take a piece and run it up and down your file,this will
help keep metal from sticking in your file and make for a better finish.If you have a single cut file,you
will want to use it on your last few passes,it will take a lot of those deep scraches out.I wound also,take
some sand paper(wet-dry would be best)and try to get a good finish before I heat treat.If you want a good
finish,it will be a lot eaiser to get the scraches out before it gets hard.I would start with 100 grit,then go to
240,then 400,and use a lubricant.Some use Windex,some use motor oil,I like baby oil,it works for me and
I don't have the smell.
Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Been busy the last 2 days so not much work done on the knife. started polishing the blade only one side almost finished.

DSC_0300.jpg
DSC_0301.jpg

also a questions about hand sanding, where do you buy 9x11 sheets? I can only find SC sheets in packs of 50. what abrasive is recommended and in what grits?

Coming along nicely.As far as the sandpaper,I use the 3m,only cause I can get it locally.
Most any hardware store,or auto part store.I am also sure that Tracy sells some of the
better stuff.As far as grit,and where your at now,I would start with,180 and you should be
ok to go from that to 400,just make sure you get all your scraches out before going to the next grit.
Good luck,keep us posted.

God bless,Keith

finished unless there are more suggestions one more to do.
brought it up to a 400 grit finish. turned out to be a full flat grind.

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

any suggestions on finishing touches before i send it out for HT?

Now that looks great Bubba.That is one to be proud of.
The only thing I would change,just a little is to radius the back.
Just so it doesn't look so square,other than that,your ready to go.
Make sure we see the finished product.

God bless,Keith

I rounded the corners some and sanded the edges with more 400 grit sandpaper.
DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

thanks to everyone for all the advise and help, especially Steven Janik who sent me the steel, handle material and basically everything for this knife.

Back