First Knife Finished!!!

bushcraftbasics

hey guys! so i just finished my first knife and im pretty exited. i was worried about my heat-treat because of the before mentioned dilemma (link below)...

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?27206-heat-treating-1084

however it came out ok (i think) and the heat treat seems to have taken... i was able to use this blade all weekend camping, and i even filled my hat with shavings to start a fire, after which i was still able to pop hairs...i dont know if decarb is going to be a problem, but if it passed the ol' file test, and holds an edge after a weekend of solid use i should be ok right?

any way here she is...any insight is appreciated...
2012-11-16_08-42-11_448.jpg

Last edited:
Great first knife, better than mine. You might try rounding the edges of the handle a little more next time but not to worry that is usually attributed to the first few!

:thumbup1:Ya did real good. BTW, what's the wood, Osage Orange by any chance?

Doug

you know, i'm not sure what the wood is...my brother does hardwood flooring and i picked it out of the scrap-pile at his house...it's super hard and came out of some guys new million-dollar house so i figured hey, good enough for me! :)

thank you all for your kind words!

That's some excellent work for a first knife...very utilitarian and I'm glad to see you're putting it through the paces.

I agree the handle needs some de-Horning but as others have stated it' looks great for a first!

I've used all kinds of flooring for handles but stay away from the Bamboo stuff. It and other laminates will start to separate in a couple of years.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I agree the handle needs some de-Horning but as others have stated it' looks great for a first!

I've used all kinds of flooring for handles but stay away from the Bamboo stuff. It and other laminates will start to separate in a couple of years.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

yeah, no laminates, this was 3/4" solid hardwood...i knocked the handle edges down a little more, way more comfy...its a little scary when you get that close to being finished, i didn't want to screw the handle up at the very end! :)

yeah, no laminates, this was 3/4" solid hardwood...i knocked the handle edges down a little more, way more comfy...its a little scary when you get that close to being finished, i didn't want to screw the handle up at the very end! :)

I move to new 120 or 220 super flex J weight belts at 25% of power for dehorning and final shaping then use a 600 for finish and then it's time for hand sanding.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I move to new 120 or 220 super flex J weight belts at 25% of power for dehorning and final shaping then use a 600 for finish and then it's time for hand sanding.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

ha!

i'm using a ? weight, well-used 80 grit belt at full tilt (no speed adjustment) on my $60 harbor freight grinder! then sharpened by hand...maybe someday ill be able to afford a grizzly 1015...the ol' wilmont tag is a little out of my reach at this point :)

Back