First journey with Elmax steel

Thanks,

There are actually 3 blades , two of them done at the 1980deg 45 soak time and one of them done at 2000deg 15 min soak time, we will see if one out preforms the other but i honestly dont know if i will be able to tell much by skinning a elk, but it sure will be fun to try!!!

steve

I got 3 Elmax blades handled up, textured and looking good. Pics to follow tomorrow most likely, i have to bead blast them first

Went shooting this morning after getting the knives blasted, i didnt have my good camera so these are on a Iphone. sorry if the quality aint great, good pics will follow when i get back from Wyoming.

Here are the 3 Elmax knives, tan and black liner, blaze orange and black liner, and green micarta and white liner
elmaxknives2.jpg

and here is my knife, it was heat treated slightly differently than the other two so we will see if one out shines the other
this is just the handle, my first time working with linen micarta, i really like the way it finishes and the way you can see the grain when its done. this is a sand blasted finish, i may buff the green handle or i may leave it as is, not sure yet
myelkknife.jpg

the blades are still a little dirty from the sand blasting, but i am very happy with the knives and just wanted to get something up to show, better pics in a week or so

knife specs are
Elmax 5/32" steel
9.25" oal
2 G10 handles and 1 linen micarta handle
heat treated, LN cryo, and tempered in house
hollow ground

thanks
steve

I was just reading back through some of the older post on this thread and John Barker you were asking me to see what hardness I ended up with on these. Well considering the fact that my buddy is not paying for his knife and I am always interested in more detailed results if we can find someone who has the ability to rockwell test I would be willing to send the knives off to them to test the hardness. My buddies knife is heat treated in the longer 1980deg soak and mine is done in the shorter 2000deg soak so as long as we could get them back in a reasonably timely manner if someone would wanna test them I am sure we could stand a couple small holes or dents or whatever it takes to get a measurement from them.

ideas??

steve

Back