First Attempt at hollow grind.

soule

So this weekend my grinder came in and I very quickly scrapped a couple pieces of steel and some belts trying to get a feel for this thing. Don't get me wrong, I love the grinder, I just don't know how to really use it yet, but I will.

By the end of the weekend, this is what I came up with. It will be my interpretation of the Wharncliffe Brute, with a very slightly larger handle to better fit my hand.
IMG_0270.jpg
I plan to finish it with black paper micarta scales with nickel steel pins. I do have a ripple or two in the grind that I hope that I can carefully work out of it, and I might taper the tang. not sure about that though.

Nice job for just outta the gate with a new machine! When I first started learning to grind, I kept an empty 5 gallon bucket beside the grinder...... and after hauling that thing off the scrapyard (several times over), I started getting the hang of it. :) From the looks of your pic, you might not even need a bucket! :)

Its always exciting and gratifying when things like that work out well! Keep at it....it only gets harder... uh, uh, uh. I meant to say "easier" from here. :) (just couldn't resist injecting a little humor in there)

Last edited:
That looks good for a first one Soule, if your machine is variable speed, you can try going to a finer belt and slowing down the speed to work out any ripples in the blade. you just have to watch you don't go to thin before heat treat.

Dang there is a nice first attempt. I'm not a fan of hollows so the two attempts I made became flats real quick after it looked ugly.
Nice job keep us posted on the blades progress.

That looks good for a first one Soule, if your machine is variable speed, you can try going to a finer belt and slowing down the speed to work out any ripples in the blade. you just have to watch you don't go to thin before heat treat.
That is some great advice. I am using a 10" wheel and after following your advice, I was able get out the ripples at a slow speed with finer belts. So much to learn! I am like i kid in a candy store with $10 to spend.
Here is a pic of the knife in it's current form. Still need lots of work on the handle and some final polish (Unless I go satin), but you can see what I am going for.
IMG_0274.jpg

That's amazing how long have you been grinding for?

with a serious grinder? Just got it this weekend. otherwise I was using a 4" belt sander for what, a couple of months at the most with no speed control, which was seriously awful in comparison. That sander was like building a house with only a hammer.

Nice job for just outta the gate with a new machine! When I first started learning to grind, I kept an empty 5 gallon bucket beside the grinder...... and after hauling that thing off the scrapyard (several times over), I started getting the hang of it. :) From the looks of your pic, you might not even need a bucket! :)

Its always exciting and gratifying when things like that work out well! Keep at it....it only gets harder... uh, uh, uh. I meant to say "easier" from here. :) (just couldn't resist injecting a little humor in there)
Oh, I have a drawer in my toolbox with failed attempts. I keep them to remind me that I need to take my time, that is where most of my scrap comes from. not taking my time. that and not having a clue yet.

This one is completed.
AEB-L treated with dry ice cryo
.110" thick at spine
green and black linen Micarta for the scales

This knife slices very well, I even used it to cut the leather for the sheath.
The sheath was experimental and it seems to work in spite of it.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks!
For my next trick, I will attempt to make a "Camp Knife". I have been messing with a couple of ideas in my head and came up with a simple design that will be about 11.5" overall length made with some .25"X2" CPM 154 stock. Longer blades are much harder to do even grinds on, so we will see if it becomes scrap, or a couple of smaller knifes, or even what I envision.

Hi

Love the knife, but not sure I like the Sheath or not. I'm making more old West stuff, so that would be a reason on the sheath. Does it work out wearing it both Horizontal and Vertical?

I REALLY like the blade shape on that one.

Later

Back