First attempt at a slipjoint

Keith Willis

First off,let me stress the word "ATTEMPT"..I started not to show these,and probably shouldn't
however we are here to learn,and you all have been a big help through the years,just though I would
show I was learning a little
The Ivory handled one(the Ivory was sent to me from Robert Carter) is not complete,in fact I am not at all satisfied
with it and may be redoing the blade and spring???

The one with the G-10,and Damascus(both G-10 and Damascus was sent to me by Robert Carter) is my very first and
I am very satisfied with the function,just not to pretty to look at,but I love having it in my pocket.

I am aware I have a long way to go...but I think I may get there???
What do you guys think?

God bless

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 78
I think they look great for a first attempt. Like Mike said, I can only hope my 1st attempt will look like that!

Thanks guys,Hey Laurence I am just proud I decided to give it a try
Also proud I am learning....but they are a nightmare :)
Lords willing,I will get it figure out

God bless

i think they look great for a first run .. id like to give it a try someday .. I keep saying that but never pull the trigger.

Keith,
Where I am sitting, they look great. I do know that we are all looking to be better as we progress but to start out as nice as this, you have a much shorter distance to travel than most of us. Can't wait to see your next two and hear your comments about them.
Wade

I think you are on the road to success Keith. I dont think they turned out too bad. Keep going so I can pick your brain on how to do it when I get started.

Thanks Mikey,trying to get this far has taken many many many hours,of course except for you guys..I am on my own.

Thanks Wade,What you don't see..LOL..is the many pieces of wasted steel,and other scrap :) it took to get here.

Thanks Eric...I pray I can get to the place,where I am able to get to a place where I can help you others,with these.

Thanks Calvin,I really should have called you,several times..I still plan that short drive over there,to spend a day or two picking your brain.
I know if I could have done that sooner,I would have saved myself a lot of headach.I guess this way,I will have a general idea,and I may be able learn something

Thanks again,to all you guys

God bless

I think it good to build a few on your own before getting some personal instruction,you will know what questions to ask.
I'll be happy to have you or anyone in my shop if I can help,just call and well schedule a time.

Thanks guys..Hey Rudy..you should give it a try..you getting on up in age hehehe..Don't want time to run out ...Just picking at ya

Hey Robert,I see you found me on facebook,guess I couldn't hide forever..Just kidding,I had made several attempts to find you.

God bless

I went thru the knives emporium and seen you on there. Can't wait to see the next couple of slippies you make. Hope all is well Keith.

I like them, too. Slim profile, almost like a toothpick. I think the smaller the knife profile, the more difficult. How thick is the steel and are you using precision ground, if you don't have a surface grinder? I started with 1/8" thick. It provides a little more steel for the learning curve in grinding these small blades.

Jay

Keith, they look nice and pocket friendly. I'm in the boat with Eric...get it figured out then I'll pick your brain when I decide to give it a shot.

Back