First AEB-L SS Fillet knife

Gliden07

A few weeks back I took on a challenge to build my first SS Fillet knife as a proof of concept piece for some potential sales. I had never built a blade start to finish out of SS. With a bunch of help from members on here I was helped with the heat treating and suggestions on grinding. Well I'm finally happy with the test piece. Going to show it to customer in the next few days. It still needs a little bit of hand sanding but 90% of the final shape and sand is done. Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• 20201030_120212.jpg
    20201030_120212.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 39
I like the blade shape and length. I'm guessing that the handle depth in the palm area and shape wouldn't be that comfortable for me. For fileting I prefer a plain (flatter/rounder) handle that can move easily in a lot of positions while cutting a fish, if that makes sense. Just my opinion. ..FWIW
Looking forward to seeing the finished knife.

Looks like a winner. Good job. Handle material?
This was a proof of concept design for a potential customer (he wants 3). He wants the Rubberized handle material in Orange/Black. Its an expensive material so I'm showing him this Blade. If he decides to move forward I'll buy the material, if not ill probably use something I have in my stash!

I like it! Looks good and sturdy. How flexible is it? That's one key features in a fillet knife, but even within the genre there are different levels of flex and blade shape for specific purposes. What works for a Sunfish doesn't always work for a Tuna. Depends on what your customer is looking for it to do. Hope they like it and order up!

I like it! Looks good and sturdy. How flexible is it? That's one key features in a fillet knife, but even within the genre there are different levels of flex and blade shape for specific purposes. What works for a Sunfish doesn't always work for a Tuna. Depends on what your customer is looking for it to do. Hope they like it and order up!
Pretty flexible, it was .082 I wanted .070. I did grind some distal taper into it also. That helped with the flex too. Hes a Trout Guide/Fisherman.

These are the scales the customer picked out! Strange combination in my opinion?

Attachments

• 20201103_191528.jpg
    20201103_191528.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20201103_191418.jpg
    20201103_191418.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I would agree. If it was me I would send photos to the client before final glue-up just to make sure that's what he really wants.
He was at my shop and picked them from my stash! I questioned him and commented that it was an unusual choice. He shrugged his shoulders and said "well thats me!" LOL! OK Then I can make it happen! Nice thing I struggle selling some of the knives make. This one will be down the road ASAP!! LOL!!

Some people just like what they like! There’s a good market for quirky stuff and a lot of people want something that is unique.

Back