Finishing mirror polish SS bolsters next to a wood handle

wmhammond

Needing some help. I have built several knives with mirror polished SS bolsters next to a wood handle and have never been satisfied with the fit and finish at the union of the bolster and wood. I have tried mirror polishing the bolsters and then adding the wood scales and then finishing them and I always booger up the bolsters even if I tape them off.

I've also tried finishing the bolsters to about 90%, then adding the wood and trying to finish them together but my grinder belt usually creates burn marks on the handle. Also, the shape of the bolsters is often necessarily different from the shape of the handle at this junction and I can't get into all those crannys with a grinder belt. I just can't seem to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Wallace

I just put my bolsters on my knife this past week. I will be putting handle material on this week. I then will finish the bolsters and handle at the same time. I will let you know how it goes. This is my first time putting bolsters on.

Finish the bolster on the knife first. Completely. Mirror polish and all. Fit your scales to the knife and mark the top of the bolsters on the end of the scale, profiles, etc. Remove the scales. Make a mock-up of the knife and use temporary pins to secure the scales to it. Now finish the scales on the mock-up. Completely. Remove the scales from the mock up periodically to check fit on the real knife and eventually to finish by hand. When you are done with the scales, remove them from the mock-up and install them on the real knife. Now you have what you wanted.

Just remember to be VERY careful when sanding/polishing bolsters without the scales in place. It is so easy to allow the edge next to bolster to get rounded off a bit. I've made a 1" metal spacer that fits in place of the scale at each end to allow the bolster to be sanded 'n polished without worry too much about rounding off the bolster. I just glue the spacer to liner and fitting into bevel of bolster just like the handle scale will fit. This really helps me keep the bolster with sharp edge to fit the handle scale.

Good luck and have fun :)

Ken H>

Back