Finished one for a friend.

Fred Rowe

Jim Shaver and I started making knives at the same time. We met in Columbus at Koval knives, when there was an Ohio Knife Makers Org. Jim lived 20 minutes south of me along Spider Ridge, which was what Jim named his knife making operation. We spent a lot of time at each others shops learning from each other. The man loved to share with others.
Sadly, he died a couple years back. His wife sold off his shop and machines. I didn't buy anything.
His wife Jan, asked if I might finish his last forged blade; She handed me a nicely ground dagger and a long piece of ossic. ; I told her I would be happy to. It took me a while to get to it. I had to be in the right mood to work on it.

When I finish ground the blade I was smiling, Jim had not lost his touch right to the end; it was well done. As I worked on the knife I thought over all the time we had spent together forging and learning and sharing.
I miss Jim; he was one of the good ones.

I hope you like it my friend; I figure if you were here you could give me some pointers.

Best regards, Fred

DSC01821.JPG

DSC01824.JPG

Last edited:
Tippin my hat to you Fred for the beautiful gesture. I'm sure Jim is lookin down at you tipping his hat as well.. Well done !

WOW FRED,
This is a wonderful thing youve done!
It never seases to amaze me, the way a simple tool can be so beautiful, how it
can hold an incredible amount of valúe, no, I dont mean monetary value,
What I' m referring to, is how an object, like a knife, can literally be a vault of emotion.
I don't know of any other tool that transcends it's of original intended use, like a knife
can.
While some people will only be able to see the object in their hands, you will forever
see the man, the friendship you shared. Memories are stored in it...some how.
Rex

WOW FRED,
This is a wonderful thing youve done!
It never seases to amaze me, the way a simple tool can be so beautiful, how it
can hold an incredible amount of valúe, no, I dont mean monetary value,
What I' m referring to, is how an object, like a knife, can literally be a vault of emotion.
I don't know of any other tool that transcends it's of original intended use, like a knife
can.
While some people will only be able to see the object in their hands, you will forever
see the man, the friendship you shared. Memories are stored in it...some how.
Rex

I can't think of a parallel; the knife itself becomes a prism that helps to focus your thoughts. It may be the antiquity of knives, or how knives have been used through history. I can't put my finger on it. There was more to putting this knife together than I'd thought in the beginning. . Working on it; it was like playing back old movies of good times and shows that Jim and I attended. I am so glad I offered to finish the knife.

This knife already has history and its just been completed. When it goes back to Jim's wife, it will be much more than when it came to me. Its not what I did that makes that so, it's the bonding of the friendships that makes it what it is. I will fill out a certificate of authenticity with our names on it and a little about how the knife came about. When it is passed along in Jim's family I think it will go with some special attachment.
Thanks for posting Rex you made me think. Fred

Last edited:
Mr. Fred,
There is a very specific and special reason why I feel the way I do about the topic, of course there are all of those times that you see or hear the phrase, "This was my Dad's knife", and you can insert any family member into the place of Dad as well, it's like it's an extra special knife, because it belonged to someone (and it was, for that reason). Now, you don't too often hear, "This was my Dad's screwdriver." I guess it doesn't hold the same mystique as a knife does.

Now, MY explanation, why I feel like I do about it.
In 06, me and my wife celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary, a month prior to that, she saw me in my usual place, looking on eBay at knives of all kinds when I stumbled on a BEAUTIFUL folder with Mosaic Damascus (made by Devin Thomas), Desert Iron Wood Burl scales, and file work every where possible, it was a site to behold, exquisite in every way! I showed it to her and she asked if I would like one like that! I was like, eeerrrr..DUH! Ya, think!!! Without sounding too enthusiastic..., and that was all that was said. I usually made specific plans for our Anniversary, but this year she couldn't commit to anything far enough ahead of time, to be able to go out of town or anything like that, so I made reservations at a nice local restaurant, I had a dozen roses delivered to her at work, and a few more little surprises, I generally blew the budget on her before she had a chance to buy me anything, because that's the way I enjoyed it. Fast forward to diner that night, she said, "I went ahead and picked you up a little present", then she went into her normal poor mouthing kinda thing, "it's not much", "just a little something I saw I thought you'd like" were her normal things she'd say. Well as soon as I saw the box I knew what it was, and being a knife snob like most people on her are, I kinda cringed and thought to me myself, "LOVE IT NO MATTER WHAT IT IS!!!!" I opened it up and to my shock and amazement was that little gents folder!!!! The ironwood in the pic was not even close to the real thing, the Damascus was a weird pattern that Devin came up with, I think he called it either "Bubble Wrap, or Dot Matrix Damascus, it's mostly black with little shiny pieces scattered all through it. And the "Thorn and Vine" file work was perfect, oh and it was made by a guy by the name of Mark Laramie, I had never heard of him and still don't see him in many places, he has been in the Knives (yearly) Annual a couple of times. The quality of this knife is off the chart!
SO as an anniversary gift from my wife and that it was made by an up and coming maker, she really nailed it, now this isn't something I talk about a lot, or even at all, in fact there are only a couple of people on here that know this, we celebrated our last anniversary February 14, 2006, 2 weeks later on February 24th, my wife passed away at 35 years old due to a heart attack. Now you can see how that knife will forever be important to me, it holds a special place in my heart, it will always be MORE than just a knife. She had given me a lot of stuff before, none of it holds the meaning like that knife does. All of this happened before I started making knives. Please don't get my current wife and my former wife confused, Tina is my wife now and the only person in the world that supported and encouraged me to pursue knife making as it was one of those things that just would not leave me alone, she is the one that I dedicated my first knife to, in honor of her love and support.

Knives seem to have the ability to store memories and shared life experiences, just like You, Mr. Fred shared with your friend Mr. Jim, although, the thing that makes your memories so incredible is that you got to "experience" the memories because they were "stored" in that knife, you felt the work of his hands, I can see how doing a particular task on that blade can flood your mind with memories of several different places in time.

Mr.Fred, I think Mr.Jim had one more lesson he wanted to share with you, a special gift of sorts, that ONLY you could receive, I think he (unknowingly) stored some memories in that last Dagger, that only you could experience, ONLY you would know the processes he used to make that blade, which means only YOU could truly, honestly, finish that knife.

What a beautiful thing to share with a special friend and with us Dogs, while loosing a great friend is never good, I think you can take a lot of comfort in knowing that YOU got to experience the memories he stored in that blade!
THANK YOU, Mr Fred, for sharing this with us, Rex

BTW, Sorry for this being so long, I'm sure there will be some folks that think I'm off my rocker, and that's OK, because I am! It's not a secret! But, I HOPE there will be someone that, by me sharing this, I hope everyone will realize that by making knives they may be presented with a situation that the knife they make has the potential to be more than just a knife

Fred, words fail in the light of your story ... that is a beautiful testament to friendship; thank you for sharing it with us!

Back