Finished 3 this week!

Self Made Knives

We had pretty awesome weather this week, at least for winter time. It was actually above freezing every night this week in my shop! There's a lot of talk about new guys selling their stuff and what they should charge. Here's what I'm doing, right or wrong. Comments and advice welcome.

I'm making these and I'm getting $80 for them, which includes a Kydex sheath. This model is called a Lancer, named after a unit I served with in the USMC. It's my idea for the perfect survival knife, each one has 10' of paracord, 50' of braided fishing line, 2 fish hooks, sewing needle, metal lanyard bead for fishing weight, and a ferro rod, all inside the handle. My thinking is if you were ever caught in a survival situation, and a Lancer was all you had on you, it could save your hide in a number of ways. I've been kind of keeping this to myself because I didn't want anybody to copy my idea. I hope nobody does, I try really hard to come up with original ideas, which isn't easy in knife making.

I tell every customer that I'm new to knife making and I make sure they like it, inspect it, and ask any questions before I accept their money. I attach a tag to each one that has my logo and contact info on the front, features and care instructions on the inside. I make sure each one is shaving sharp and has good retention in the sheath. I've got a pretty good waiting list for these and I've been warning everyone, if I ever get to the end of the list, I'm raising the price.

SAM_2124.jpg SAM_2133.jpg SAM_2142.jpg SAM_2136_2.jpg

That's a very nice looking knife and an excellent idea combining all the items with it. I think it's a really good price for the customer.

I actually made a couple like that for xmas this year. they loved them. It is none of my business but I think you are ripping yourself off, just sayin.

I'm impressed. Looks like a great tool to be stuck in the woods with. The knife itself has great lines ( I'm a sucker for a full flat drop point ). Great idea and execution, you'll have no shortage of customers especially at an $80 price point. Were it me I'd be asking $100 plus. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like your style.

Hey Anthony, I link them a lot, great ideas, it would probably take three guys guys to pry that put of your hand, it really looks like you could get a grip on all that parachord! Where is the fish line and hooks hidden, I couldn't seem to find it, is it under the cord?
I also think that I am ripping myself off as RM said, I know what I'm doing with the knives is worth much more but am reluctant to ask the price, those look like they are worth every bit of $80 and then a bunch more.
I'm working now on a batch of knives (6) for a customer, they are gifts for the guys in his wedding. I gave him the price and now regret it, it's a bundle of work. Although time covered all off my materials/electric cost for the project, I may be lucky to see $2 an hour till I'm done, but again, it is a hobby, lol.
I wanted to ask you since you are on here so much and always have a lot going on, are you full time or just working 23 hrs a day?

wayne

Anthony, I really dislike this auto-correct feature on the computer, if you have any troubles deciphering some of that mumbo-jumbo in the first sentence, let me know, lol.

Wayne

Wayne, I'm just a part timer. I think about knives full time, does that count? But I only get an hour or two in the evenings after work to play. Bryce, I had thought about charging $100 when I first sold one, but I was afraid people wouldn't be interested, so I compromised at $80. I really like the design and function of this idea, but frankly, I don't like making the same thing over and over and over........ So, if I every get my list worked down, I'm going to raise the price to at least $100, maybe more. I've got my material costs figured down to the penny and I've made enough of them now I can get them done fairly fast. At $80 I'm doing ok. The first couple of these I made took forever, but I think I may making close to minimum wage now!:biggrin:

Anthony, really like the design and look of these, and what a steal at $80. I was wondering what you were using for the finish on these, is that acid etched or a vinegar patina? I've been kicking around the idea of doing some type of forced patina or acid finish on mine, and haven't settled on a good solution.

Thanks,
Aaron

I've tried ferric chloride, hot vinegar, home brew parkerizing, and gun blue. I've done some unscientific finishing testing too, like putting one in and out the sheath 100 times, purposely crooked and dragging. I even parkerized one, then blasted the finish off one side and blued it. I cut dozens of strips of cardboard to check edge retention and side to side finish wear. All in all, the gun blue holds up as good as any and it's waaaay easier and faster to apply. But, I have had a couple of customers really love the vinegar etch.

I really dig these in a big way. What I really REALLY like is your idea of basically incorporating the stuff from a 550 survival bracelet into a knife. That's manly as hell. The finish looks just plain tough. That's a knife I'd pull out in front of guys who break things for a living.

I'd pay $150 for that knife in a skinny minute. Don't shortchange yourself. I'm guilty of that too. If you saw a picture of that knife in an ad, what price would you expect to see under it? I'll bet your first answer is "about $150", wasn't it? Add $25 more for the survival kit inside the handle.

JMO

Awesome idea, simple, effective, looks great. the only thing I don't care for is bright color cord it will show oil, dirt fast.

I was in the Air Force with a Self, Scott from NC unique name.

The light or brighter colors will show dirt fast, I've warned people about that, but I offer them a array of colors and leave it up to the customer. I make them in 4 or 5 sheath colors/textures too. The most popular is just OD green. The brighter two tone combos really get peoples attention though.

I'm thinking about offering a "reload" service to my customers to give them an overhaul if the cord gets too dirty, or they actually had to use it for what it was designed for. I was thinking of $25 for a simple re-wrap and maybe $50 for total refurbish.

Back