Finally, the waiting is over...

Thank you, Randy.

I was waiting by the mailbox all afternoon, and no present came from HHH.:p

However, my wife just walked in with the most outrageously gaudy store-bought birthday cake! I think I'm getting a zit on my nose just sniffing the thing!

Never fear, I did work this afternoon sharpening for a client. That's got to be some consolation for a second piece...

By the by, I was dead serious in not moderating my prose. Granted there is no need to be obscene, I rely more on the spoken word and the artful use of the language. I didn't sit through hundreds of hours as an English Minor in college for the love of poetry. Rather, I knew that someday I would have to present findings at boardroom meetings, negotiate pricing and craft business letters.

Thankfully, that segment of my craft is over.

But I truly love the fine art of bladesmithing. My wife bought me a coffee table book on some exquisite examples, and I enjoy just flipping through it.

My acid tongue is now reserved for cheap black knives, and I make no secret of my disgust for those pretenders. This morning I drafted a poison pen post to a forum that revels in Rustoleum. It felt good.

Tourist, you are one funny sum-biscuit. That doesn't mean I take your statements lightly, just that I see an undercurrent of humor in them.

FWIW, some of us "young" dogs (I'm 39) still remember the old values and teach our kids the way we were taught. The future is not entirely bleak!

My lil monster, (soon to be 11 yrs old) knows that Daddy loves her, cuz I tell her so even when I'm upset with her. She knows dang well to hold the door for an old lady at the grocery store, and to say "please" and "thank you", and she knows she'll get lots of praise and hugs-an-kisses when she does anything to the best of her ability. She also knows she has to do her chores right the first time, and won't get away with sassin' her mom. (I'm not "with" her mom and don't even like her that much, but by God, that's her mom.) She knows she can speak her mind in any instance, as long as she can do it with dignity and back up her opinions with reason. She judges people by how they treat her, not by what they wear or their race. She's sassy and bright and warm-hearted, and sometimes she's a pain in the backside :D

I consider myself a VERY lucky man.

That's the kind of thing my mom and dad taught me, and I think it helps make life worth living.

Sorry to drift off-topic... just wanted to let you old dudes know that some of us are trying to keep your values going :)

Happy Birthday Tourist! If you and your wife ever wander up towards Wausau, stop by and say howdy, I'll pour you a glass of homemade wine :)

Last edited:
Tourist, you are one funny sum-biscuit. That doesn't mean I take your statements lightly, just that I see an undercurrent of humor in them.

Oh, that's intentional. Those who are stuck with knowing me and loving me say that I am do the funniest monologues up in someone's face.:D

The point is that I have been a good boy for most (perhaps lots, well, maybe occasionally) of my life. At my worst I went to work. I now simply don't care who hears me.

As for knives, ribald humor, pretty girls, dangerous bikes, and a few old vendettas, I'm your guy! I'm joking most of the day. I have also learned that 'tact' doesn't work for idiots. Ron White is a learned man.

Oh, and as for "thread drift," I don't mind it one bit. Ever go to an old gunshop on a Saturday morning? We drift all over the place. Mention the fact that the waistband on your scivvies has sprung, and that reminds someone else of Queen Elizabeth. Some of the best parties I've attended wound so far around the horn that Homeland Security is still using a Sicilian-to-clown dictionary for translations. Who cares.

Now to the important stuff. About this wine...

heh... wine... my work in this area is not the stuff of legend, or maitre' d's, or that word that sounds like "somalians". It tastes good and will get you very drunk if you're not careful, that's all I promise.

Do you mean "big money," those large orange monkeys or sommeliers?

In any case, that's one odd-duck wine tasting party. And you were criticizing me? Yikes...

I wasn't criticizing you at all, dunno how you got that idea. Lil paranoid are we? :D

There are no orangutangs ("right turn, Clyde!"), ducks, or French-speakin' smarty-pantses involved in my wine, I assure you. In fact it's not truly wine, if you ask a snob, since it's not based on grapes. Just apple, raspberry and cherry juices, with a touch of champagne yeast to get things bubbling. Soon the local strawberry fields will be in full bloom, and that gladdens my heart.

I wasn't criticizing you at all, dunno how you got that idea. Lil paranoid are we?

LOL. Even us paranoids have enemies...

No, I didn't know if you meant big money (samolians), orange monkeys (Sumatrans) or wine experts (sommeliers). I couldn't find a thing in my Wausau-to-English lexicon. And Lex the Con didn't know either.

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" -- Kurt Cobain

Of course, he blew his brains out not long after writing that, so be careful how much weight you place on his words.

I meant the wine-expert thing but couldn't remember how to spell it. Thanks for clearing that up ;) I'm sure it will come in handy!

Wausau-to-English lexicon, that's funny. Half the time I don't even understand myself.

I'm a little late to the party but I'd like to wish you a belated happy birthday Tourist. You sound like a man after my own heart.

Carey

Thanks for the good wishes, guys. The last few days have been very enjoyable.

The strange part of the equation is that my "no censoring rule" hasn't really been needed. Everybody thinks it's funny. 2thumbs

Of course, getting the biggest birthday gift I have ever received sort of greased the skids, too...

Tourist,you have put a big ol' smile on my face that a burly fella couldn't pry off with a crow-bar :D
I'm just around the corner from 46,and in the last 2 years have let some things pile up on me too deep.
My bad.
You Sir,
have Rung the Bell for me to shake it off and get back to being the smiling,cranky wise-crackin' guy that my family and friends have been missin' lately.(and me,too!)
#1 on my To Do List is to get physically active again.
I wish I could reach through this screen and shake your hand.
Thanks,
and Happy Birthday!

Ironwolf, gee guy, I'm not that nice in person...:eek:

I do think we ruminate too much over minor stuff. It's all wasted time. You just have to make things work, and once in a while that's a step out in courage.

I hated my adult job, I should have never pursued it. Thirty years, shot in the butt. Not now, and while I might be a loose cannon, I'm the happiest I have ever been.

I like to say that I drum to a different marcher...

Sir,
After that statement I must chime in. I just want to say that I am 51 years old and as you are my elder(to some degree) I'll promise you right here and now to call you Sir and respect you as such.......Sir. You're welcome in my house any time you need a place to rest.

Aldo Bruno
NJSB

Aldo, I appreciate the kind words and the nice sentiment, kind of strange coming from a "moderator," I must admit. I'm usually the guy who engages in a debate, shuts off the computer and then gets a 'directive' style PM from the forum's owner the next day. No kidding.:rolleyes:

I will make you this promise. I like it here. I'll try my best not to track mud on your carpets.

Thank you. I'm on the second latte' and I can actually feel my traps starting to loosen up. I might even be able stand up here shortly without grunting.;)

Back