Enjoying tools

KenH

I wonder if I'm the only person around that can walk thru shop, stop, look around at all the tools sitting there, then feel a nice soft feeling of contentment just looking at the tools in the shop? I grew up on a farm where we used old tractors and worked to keep them running. Seems like the first engine I remember rebuilding with rings, inserts etc was a 2 cylinder Wisconsin air cooled engine on a hay baler. Seems like I was 12 to 14 yr old at the time. Dad would swing by from time to time to check to make sure I was doing everything right.

Fast forward in time and the next 25 yrs or so was spent on a 40 ft sailboat, so not much room for lots of tools. I swallowed the anchor and purchased this place in 2010 with room for nice shop and "radio" room where I've got "toys". I've now got tools and equip I only dreamed about having in past years.

As ya'll can tell, I just enjoy my tools.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Ken H>

After a dozen years of being physically unable to negotiate stairs to the basement shop, and too sick to be interested, it has been a real joy to recover both the ability and the interest to get into my shop again. I love just being down there amongst the machines and tools, and though I'm not good for a lot, I look forward to my couple hours daily. I've been trying to get my engraving skills back lately. Every little bit is very slow. That's okay, it's better than sitting in that chair. :)

Blessed Christmas and Happy 2023 to all!

Ken, I feel the same way! I never really had the best tools because I was in the USAF for 26 years and constantly moving. You can't amass much when you are severely restricted on weight and your wife needs household goods...

I finally have a garage full of the best tools I've ever owned, and I love them all!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Every one of my tools that I use now, I just have to think how I did it before I had that tool. That always brings a smile. I really feel nostalgic anytime I use my old metal lathe. Built in 1906 I think, and the way it runs with all the gears and screws and stuff moving just makes me warm and fuzzy. You all have a happy Christmas too!

I agree...you can never have too many tools. I honestly wish I had more room and more money for some of the larger tools used in blade work. Such as a power hammer. But I do really enjoy working with and making the tools that I have. Some, like my air compressor, I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Happy Holidays to all!

Back